Friday, December 20, 2019

I’m a heart transplant patient and the daily meds combined with my new reality really cause weight loss barriers, and my surgery left me very sedentary.

I’m not complaining at all, I just thought some perspective from a different kind of weight loss story might be refreshing. I’m a 56 year old male and I live in Massachusetts. I was transplanted at Brigham & Women's hospital in Boston. And yes, I now know my donor’s family and they are wonderful.

I’m 5 years out from my transplant and I lived on an artificial heart for a year before that. This all started at 48. The artificial heart surgery left me with a permanent kind of “activity induced nausea” that can double me over in pain if I push too hard physically. I get around very well, but if I walk more than a few hundred yards, I get crazy nauseas and have to sit down to rest. It’s very disheartening when trying to lose weight.

So, I’ve been losing weight by counting calories and restricting myself to 1,100 to 1,400 calories per day. I began at exactly 300lbs and I got down to 250... but even at my restricted diet, I’ve climbed back up to 258. Gaining 8 pounds while eating 1,100 calories a day would seem impossible on paper, but my daily medication combined with how damaged my body is has made this journey anything but normal.

My goal weight is 190-200. The daily battle is real. The nausea stops my from exercising, so as the weight comes off, it will be harder and harder to lose weight the way I am now.

By the way, ask me anything about heart transplants, organ donation, or how it all works!

submitted by /u/Odd_craving
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2MgBYzP

No comments:

Post a Comment