Saturday, November 7, 2020

I'm back -- well, I'm crawling back -- to Lose It

I started my weight loss journey on 7/12/19 at a weight of 313.3 pounds (I'm a 60-year-old, 5'9" woman) after I had a couple of small strokes. I was SO motivated to lose weight after that health scare and by 3/13/20 (8 months later), I had gotten down to 224.6 pounds (an 88.7-pound loss). I read Lose It faithfully and when I would read all the posts about people struggling because they were putting the weight back on (or had put the weight back on) I smugly thought, "It's not hard to lose weight -- just eat fewer calories!" I was using My Fitness Pal to keep track of my calories. I don't remember now where I started at as far as calories go (I just went by what MFP said to eat), but eventually I got down to 1,200 per day. It wasn't easy, but in my gung-ho mindset, it wasn't too-too hard either. The weight consistently fell off.

But then the coronavirus hit. California went on a stay-at-home order on 3/19/20 and I decided that that was my excuse to stop counting calories and to eat whatever I wanted to. I baked to my heart's content (I love to bake). Now, here it is almost 8 months later and I've gained back 47 of the almost 89 pounds that I had lost. I understand the struggle so many of you have had in trying to keep the weight off better now. I can totally empathize now.

I've started trying again (as of the day before yesterday) and I'm back to looking at the Lose It sub-Reddit again. I'm starting off slow and telling MFP that I just want to lose 1/2 a pound a week instead of trying to lose 2 pounds a week like before. I'll be happy if I can just stop seeing weight GAINS every week. (Oh, that's something that I have continued doing, even during my weight gain period -- I still weigh myself faithfully every Friday morning. It was the only thing I was doing that made me be accountable.)

Yes, it was *glorious* being able to eat the way I have been eating since March. I enjoyed myself *immensely*. But (and this is no surprise to you guys, I'm sure), I am NOT enjoying this 47-pound weight gain. I move slower. My joints ache more than normal. I have a harder time trying to tie my shoes. I'm having to buy bigger clothes. And of course, I have that looming fear in the back of my mind that I'm going to end up having another stroke. My doctor has expressed his concern that I've gained so much weight. I have GOT to get a handle on this again.

I am terrified of catching the coronavirus. I'm overweight -- comorbidity #1. I'm diabetic. My blood sugars are under control, but that's comorbidity #2. I've got high blood pressure. Not out-of-control high, but I have enough high blood pressure readings to make it a little bit concerning. That's comorbidity #3. I'm up there in age -- comorbidity #4. I'm being extremely careful and doing everything I can to avoid exposing myself to situations where I could catch it.

I'm going to do my best to "get back to the basics" again and do what I need to do to lose this weight -- first, lose the 47 pounds that I've gained and then to continue to work towards my goal weight. It felt SO good to get down to 225 pounds back in March -- I loved the way my clothes were fitting and I loved how much more energy I had. I can't wait to feel that good about myself again and to have that much energy again. Wish me luck!

submitted by /u/Twinzie1004
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/36tj2Y3

No comments:

Post a Comment