Friday, November 6, 2020

My resting pulse went from 85 to 56–weight loss is so worth it.

F 22, 5’4” SW 175 CW 143 GW 125, 32 pounds down in 5 months (with a two month long breaks in between)

For starters, I look hotter. But after looking back on my doctor’s visit vitals, I’ve realized it’s so much more than that, even though I’m only 22 and was just “overweight” not “obese”. Let me say a few of the non-appearance related ways losing weight has changed my life:

  1. My resting pulse dropped from 85 to 56. No joke.
  2. My blood pressure went from 125/79 to 107/66.
  3. I used to sleep 9 hours a night and nap for 2-3 hours during the day. Now I sleep 7-8 hours a night, no naps.
  4. My waist went from 31 in to 28.
  5. I can run a mile (and more)! To be clear-when I was overweight, I thought I could run a mile. I’m sure a lot of people who were athletic in high school and haven’t run since then have the same assumption I did. Then I tried and died about .2 mile in. I told myself I was just bad at running—nope, I was 30 lb overweight.
  6. In general, I can say yes to (and enjoy!) activities with friends that I couldn’t before—hiking, long walks, rock climbing, the list goes on.

If you’re a young person like me and are questioning whether you should get your act together or keep ‘enjoying’ your fast metabolism and eating whatever you want, take this as a sign. The extra ten years of life I’ll get get from weight loss will give me plenty of time to eat cake then!

What I did:

May-June, I lost 20 pounds through just CICO (1200-1400 calories on week days and 1500-maintenance on weekends), no exercise. Working out was a million times harder with the extra weight and it was 100 degrees where I live and gyms were closed. As far as food, I LOVE Trader Joe’s frozen meals for calorie counting because I hate cooking. Some faves: chicken samosas (80 cal for 2), reduced guilt mac and cheese and I add in chicken sausage (~330 cal), pork gyoza (7 potstickers for 230 cal!!) vanilla meringues for dessert (90 cal for 3-4) Seriously can’t hype these up enough lol though other go-to meals included Banza chickpea pasta with chicken sausage (~400cal with olive oil and parmesan) and one can tuna salad on those super thin crackers (~230 cal)

I took July off and just did maintenance (went on a roadtrip, barbecues, etc. made it too hard)

In August-now, I started working out (took October off calorie deficit and did maintenance) and seriously toned up. I did C25K and started taking (socially distanced) weight liftinf classes at a gym. Started with a fitbit, upgraded to a used Apple watch. Got a food scale off amazon and actually used it. This is when I started getting a lot of comments/compliments because my physique started to look different not just smaller. I also went to holding a plank for 20 seconds to almost 2 minutes, alongside many other athletic improvements.

If you’re thinking about starting—just do it! I’m SO glad I used this quarantine time to work on my health (and was incredibly lucky to have the time and privilege to do so right now) I’m looking forward to emerging like a beautiful, healthy butterfly from a cocoon when this is all over.

submitted by /u/thevelocinapper
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/36eRYLI

No comments:

Post a Comment