Wednesday, February 24, 2021

A third of the way to my goal thanks to losing the allergens!

Tldr- Stalled despite doing the right stuff? Try an elimination diet/allergy testing!

At my heaviest, I was 447. I just weighed in at 365. For years I suffered with stomach upset, migraines, and a host of other issues. I've got fibromyalgia, so my doctors mostly wrote my symptoms off as my 'new normal' or gave me the line of 'if you weren't fat'. Meanwhile, I was doing everything I could to lose weight: monitoring my sleep, running at a calorie deficit, and eating the Mediterranean diet my nutritionist advised. I never lost more than a couple of pounds.

Last July, I started having the worst indigestion of my life. After some WebMD research (having lost insurance at the time) the easiest course of action to do at home seemed to be an elimination diet.

I went hard core, y'all.

I ate nothing but potatoes, rice, and green beans for three weeks. The first time I got to try cheese was like a blessing from the gods. When I realized that garlic gave me migraines, I wept bitterly. When I tracked all of the things I reacted to, the answer to my woes was clear: I was sensitive to FODMAPs.

Wtf was a fodmap?

"FODMAPs are a group of sugars that are not completely digested or absorbed in our intestines. When FODMAPs reach the small intestine, they move slowly, attracting water. When they pass into the large intestine, FODMAPs are fermented by gut bacteria, producing gas as a result. The extra gas and water cause the intestinal wall to stretch and expand." - from Monash.

I stepped off the scale at the same time that I eliminated all fodmaps from my diet. Then I had to accompany my partner to the doctor, and I asked to use their scale on a whim. Turns out that not being able to eat anything commercially made? It's a serious weight loss tool.

I'm down 80 pounds, 4 inches around my waist, and 5 migraines a week.

Pictures for comparison:

https://imgur.com/a/ELy1qjZ

submitted by /u/cakeweefs
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2NTLX1E

No comments:

Post a Comment