Thursday, February 25, 2021

Please evaluate my weight loss plan! (Advice Needed)

I'm a 17 year old guy who gained a lot of weight due to a year in quarantine (no exercise at all + junk food and takeout all day everyday isn't very healthy for me, funnily enough.)

I've tried weight loss in the past, but none of those plans made it further than a week. Now, I'm convinced I can do it. I'm currently focusing more on my habits rather than goals (i.e lose x kgs in y weeks) since I believe that was a part of my downfall last time. I do have a goal though, but I still focus more on my habits rather than goals. My goals are:

  1. build a healthy and sustainable lifestyle, and to maintain that lifestyle up for the rest of my life
  2. become fit, lean, and "normal weight" in the BMI index by the time I get to college, which is in around a year or so. This would mean losing tens of kgs of weight in about a year.

I'm ever so slowly making changes to my lifestyle. These are not drastic changes by any means. I'm trying to change my habits bit by bit, to make it consistent and sustainable. Here are some of the changes I've made on my diet:

  1. I've committed myself to no junk food and no takeout. I'm only going to eat homemade meals from now. Also, no eating snacks such as chips or chocolate. If I'm hungry, I'm just going to eat nuts or fruits. (Mostly almonds, apples, and bananas.)
  2. Refrain from drinking non-water beverages.
  3. I'm gonna try to do 16:8 intermittent fasting. This isn't really a drastic change, because some days I do this anyway. I usually wake up for school at 7, eat at around 7, have my lunch at 12, and have my dinner at 2:30 directly after school ends. I just have to be consistent in not snacking after this time, and in making sure I follow this routine during weekends/on the holidays.
  4. I have one cheat day, on friday, in which I let myself eat my favorite ramen noodle for dinner.

Those are the only changes I've made on my diet. My homemade meals mainly consist of rice and meat. I've heard that rice isn't very good for weight loss, but I don't think I can give up on rice. Not eating it would be a really drastic change to my diet. (I'm Asian, if you can't tell.) I also want to add more veggies to my diet. Probably somewhere in the future when I get used to this lifestyle.

Aside from my eating habits, I'm also trying to develop healthy exercise habits. I've started brisk walking/light jogging on the treadmill; a few weeks ago I started at 5 minutes a day and added around 5 minutes the next week. Currently, I'm brisk walking on my treadmill for 20 minutes a day. My goal is to hit 30 minutes a day, and go from brisk walking, to jogging, and finally to running, though I don't have the endurance for that yet. I also want to add more variety to my workouts and do more high intensity stuff, though that is for the future when I become more fit.

I've heard from this subreddit that exercise isn't that important for weight loss, but I feel that it helps with my mindset since whenever I think about eating ice cream or whatnot, I think to myself "well that would make all that hard work exercising today go to waste, wouldn't it?" I've heard it also increases my metabolism and improves cognitive development, so I think it's pretty important.

Do you think these habits are enough to achieve my aforementioned goals?

submitted by /u/moxlyYT
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2ZQJsQw

No comments:

Post a Comment