Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Sneaky, sneaky calories!

Hello all!

I've been doing CICO and on my weight loss journey for a little over a month now; down 9.2 lbs, woot! But obviously since I've been doing CICO, I have been paying a lot closer attention to calories in things. I have completely moved away from the "you can't have that" mindset which led to me failing all previous attempts to lose weight into the "you can have that in moderation" mindset. Restriction increases my likelihood to cheat/sneak food in there, whereas I don't feel that compulsion if I know I can have it.

I'm a short woman (4'11") and my TDEE is a little over 1600 calories. I always felt like I didn't eat very much, which is true. Turns out you don't have to eat very much to gain weight when you're that short and mostly sedentary. Since my journey started, I have a clearer picture of how exactly I was gaining weight so easily and not noticing by now paying attention to the calories on some of my favorite snacks.

One of my favorite things were Grandma's (the brand) peanut butter cookies. One pack (two cookies) is 400 calories! And I would eat these at least twice a week. A cup of ice cream is like 300! Don't even get me into my calories from juice. Juice is healthy, I thought, at least it's not soda. Well, nope! Pack of swedish fish? Forget about it! And the worst of all, occasional night time poptarts (RIP my calorie budget). All on top of my normal, fairly healthy meals which probably were about 500-600 calories each (2-3 times a day), unless I was eating takeout, which I did on the weekends so who knows how much it was.

What spurred on this post is that I give myself a treat every now and then, as long as it fits into my calorie budget nowadays. So yesterday, I ate half (half!!!) of a Baby Ruth (I misread the label and thought the two piece bar was 230 calories). Well, that half was 230!

My husband is 6'2", 185 lbs and lean muscled. So I ate the same types of food as him but significantly less portions. He'd also snack on peanut butter sandwiches throughout the day (while I tend to stick to one snack), eat seconds at dinner, have as much ice cream as he wanted every single night.

So I'm thinking, "how am I gaining all this weight?" At meal times, I ate the same as my skinnier friends (or less) but they were all anywhere from 7 to 9 inches taller than me if they were women, or they were 6 foot tall men, lol. Well, now I know better.

CICO is really saving me. I wasn't paying attention to calories consumed, just volume of food eaten. I feel like my eyes have been completely opened, and I'm so grateful.

submitted by /u/iamhibunny
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3dopNxw

No comments:

Post a Comment