Monday, March 29, 2021

What's helped you stay at a happy weight long-term?

32/m, 5'10", large build, currently ~240 lbs and (slowly) losing weight.

I've had an inconsistent weight all throughout adulthood, maxing out at about 275lbs and likely averaging somewhere in the 230s. ~200lbs would likely be a healthy, happy weight for me, if I could ever stay there.

When I was in my early 20s I had some very rapid loss/gain that likely didn't do my metabolism any favors.

My latest two "lose weight" periods were at a sustainable pace (1-2lbs/week); I was able to get down to a good weight both times primarily via calorie counting (and in the latter attempt - frequent distance cycling, which let me eat a lot more). After the first, I bounced back to ~230lbs (I feel fairly unhealthy at this weight). After the second, I bounced back to nearly 250lbs (I feel very unhealthy at this weight).

It feels like psychological issues (depression, anxiety, occasional binge eating) play into the post-loss gains, and I do work on those issues with therapy and doctors. I also rather enjoy food and eating food; the physical desire to eat can also come on quite strong for me. I'm almost afraid of embarking on weight loss again as I don't want it to be +3 years from now and be at 270lbs due to whatever forces cause the (apparently not too uncommon) rebound++ effect.

Graph of last 3 years: https://i.imgur.com/QqGBCdt.png

I understand how to lose weight and have done it a few times now. But inevitably I seem to cycle back to gaining too much weight, and I'm not sure how to break those long-term cycles. What has worked for you for holding a happy/healthy weight for 3+ years?

submitted by /u/secret_formula
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3da6xne

No comments:

Post a Comment