Wednesday, May 5, 2021

how to start working out after being sedentary for years?

i was born with asthma and moderate idiopathic scoliosis, former is entirely controlled and im in (equally exhausting) physical therapy for the latter. i honestly used both of these as an excuse for remaining sedentary literally my entire life. i didnt get much of a chance to be active outside growing up (environmental allergens and air pollution would make me wheeze), so i just kinda kept gaining weight and got more and more out of shape. the closest i ever got to being active was when i was in marching band for a few years and i was still exhausted by everything and could barely make it through a game. last november-ish i hit my highest weight ever of 185lbs, developed awful gerd to the point where i was waking up vomiting every morning, and i decided i cant live like this. i dont WANT to live like this

so at first i just ate less and healthier. cut my potions down and stopped eating when i felt full, told myself if i ended up needing more i could get a small snack between pounds. ended up losing 30 pounds in three months (monitored by doctors!) without even thinking about it. i started noom in mid april because my weight loss stagnated and i had really enjoyed a previous trial of it, and ive lost another five pounds since then! im at 145lbs right now and feeling pretty great, ive struggled getting below 150lbs for years

however, my goal isnt to just lose the weight, because ill still be super out of shape. i know i need to start working out (and genuinely want to), but its hard to do so when all of the "beginner" workout plans leave me dizzy and winded. low-intensity yoga has been the easiest for me, but it still leaves me panting and exhausted. i know youre supposed to be tired after working out, but everything seems way more intense to me than it probably should be. i get the feeling i shouldnt be immobilized and in pain after every workout, yknow?

so. does anyone have any suggestions on how to get into working out? ive been seriously considering a gym membership because i know i can lift weights and run on a treadmill for a while without passing out. i just need something actually sustainable because i know im definitely not going to want to keep doing routines that knock me out every time. would starting at a gym be a good idea, or is there any other good starting points? i want to start working out so badly but its hard when youre constantly exhausted and overwhelmed haha

TL;DR: ive been sedentary a majority of my life because i convinced myself i couldnt be fit due to health conditions. now that ive realized thats total bs, im trying to start exercising, but following yoga routines/workout plans i find online leaves me SUPER exhausted. low intensity yoga leaves me panting. is there any better starting point beyond just diving into random workout plans?

submitted by /u/salopie
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3unspmI

No comments:

Post a Comment