Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Post-weight loss depression?

Hi LoseIt, bit of a different post here.

So throughout 2020 I went on a pretty intense diet and I ended up losing 50kg (110lbs, google tells me). I went from a bit north of 150kg to 100 from about february 2020 to november the same year. Having now done that, I am experiencing what I can only describe as a real mental slump concerning my weightloss. Let me try and explain in a bit more detail.

I'm already a very unstable person. I suffer from clinical anxiety, I get medication for it. I get severe depressive slumps of which I am also medicated for. I had perhaps sold myself the lie, when I started this diet, that losing weight would change my life for the better, that slimmer me would be a happier me. The brutally honest answer is that I am no happier now than I was when I began. I don't see myself differently at all (I know, the mirror lies, and all that), I still see the 150kg version of myself. I don't feel any better, I still have depressive issues (and expecting them to go away because of my weight loss was unrealistic to begin with) and my anxiety still eats away at me. I tried signing up for dating apps, now that I had lost all this weight, hoping that I could find something new to care about in life there, but have gotten no matches (at all), despite months of trying, which hasn't exactly helped my self-esteem issues.

In terms of food I turned my unhealthy overeating issues into unhealthy undereating issues, and presently my diet can be described as: erratic and foolish. I haven't lost any weight since january, despite throwing myself into various attempts at restarting my overall diet. I have fallen deeply into the trap of "cheat days" where you end up eating so much that you more or less cancel out any progress made the rest of the week, and I am working on that, attempting to coral myself back into a set diet so I can lose weight again, but it is hard to find the motivation to diet again when the results from before have been negative. Why lose 10 or 20 more kg if it doesn't make me happier? Why torture myself with a restrictive diet if in the end I am still just this sad lonely person sitting in my small apartment? But then again, why gain back the weight, if I wasn't happy when I was heavier? Life seems very bleak.

My post is very rambling, so i'll attempt to summarize here. Has anyone else experienced a post-weight loss depression? What did you do to overcome it? Where do you find the inspiration to go on with losing weight? Perhaps more broadly, how do you turn weight loss success into a better life?

submitted by /u/MaveProblemer
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3ws5OWC

No comments:

Post a Comment