Monday, July 26, 2021

I am confused about the combination of strength training and weight loss

Hello all, as you can see from the title, I am a little confused. Namely, it's about the combination of weight loss and strength training. But first a little info about me: In 2017 I decided for the first time in my life to really try to lose weight and lost 30 kg (66 lbs) within a year without any diets just by cutting out sweets and doing some endurance sports (Cross trainer). After that I decided to drastically reduce the endurance training and replace it with strength training.
The weight remained stable and I was able to build up muscles (which certainly helped with keeping the weight off, as I was slowly but surely falling back into old eating habits). At the end of 2018 I got an injury that kept me from training for a few weeks, I lost my routine and didn't start again.

Today I have basically gained back the 30 kg (66 lbs) I lost back then. When I exceeded the maximum weight i had back in the day, I got motivated to lose weight again, this time hopefully for good.

With the same approaches as back then (no sweets, less food) I have already achieved a first successes and have now decided to start training again. So I did some research online to see if it makes sense to start strength training right away (despite being overweight) or to stick with endurance training first and start strength training later. I think I have rarely found more contradictory information in my life. One side says that strength training is the most sensible thing to do (in the long run) to ensure that muscles are not lost and to increase the basal metabolic rate. The other side says that muscles cannot be built up while losing weight and that the two processes hinder each other.

Do any of you have experience with strength training while losing weight and would you say it makes sense or should I stick to endurance training like I did back then?

Just to clarify I am not talking about bodybulding strength training here, but light muscle building. Since I hardly ever really stress my muscles in my everyday life, I'm probably close to the minimum muscel mass that a (healthy) person can have. It's more about increasing it little by little, on the one hand to support the weight loss and on the other hand to just be healthier.

Thanks for your advice!

submitted by /u/PeterPanski-123
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3l2fxjZ

No comments:

Post a Comment