Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Data makes you powerful, your mindset makes you successful.

SW: 221.9 on 7/22/2018 CW: 197.9 on 11/28/2018 GW: 165

Starting about four months ago I started on a huge lifestyle change and its had such an insane effect on my happiness, in pretty much every way.

I'm a programmer, so I started with a phrase that I've used a million times at work: You can't improve what you don't measure. With that in mind I bought a fitbit and started tracking everything about my life that I could. I use www.exist.io, and a bunch of attached services: RescueTime, Todoist, Fitbit, MFP (more accurate food), Hidrate (with a smart water bottle), and many more. My attitude has been "measure first, fix later". If I storm eat, I roll with it and then measure it. This reduces a lot of the stress that I used to have about eating. I find it easier to fail better, instead of avoiding failure. I find strategies to splurge by going over my weight loss calorie goal, but trying my hardest not to go over my maintain calorie goal. There are a million and one ways that measuring can help your mindset. You should start now. You can't get that data back!

I've never felt more in control of my own life than I do now. I've also realized that sometimes having a distant numeric goal is just not enough. I weigh myself every morning now, and on days that I fluctuate upwards it just makes me fight that much harder. But most importantly, every day that I'm lower is a day that I'm winning. A war is won by winning battles, and you can't skip straight to the end, because in life the battle is never over. Just focus on winning the day.

I started this kind of thinking when I quit smoking about 9 months ago. I just kept telling myself that every time I didn't have a cigarette I was winning. And I just kept having that thought, over and over and over again until I was able to say no every time. Ever since then, its gotten easier and easier to control myself. I realized about a month ago that I was still biting my nails, even though I had gotten control over myself in so many other ways. Sometimes my nail biting would even make my fingers bleed. And so I stopped. Like entirely cold turkey. And I realized that I've practiced self control so much now that I'm good at it.

Right now I'm focusing primarily on my weight and fitness (doing Orange Theory 3 times a week and its having amazing effects on my muscle tone), but I don't want to stop when I hit my goal weight. I'm excited to hit my goal weight not because I get to rest, but because I can finally get started on the rest. I want to optimize my diet, and my sleep, and my productive time. I want to build even more habits and exercise even more control over myself and my life.

I don't know if any of this will be helpful, but if even one person reads this and it helps them get more control over their lives than I'll count this as a success!

submitted by /u/borromakot
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2BE0ENH

No comments:

Post a Comment