Wednesday, November 28, 2018

New Here

After the end of a short relationship in early 2017, along with a lot of stressful events, I gained about 20+ lbs. I’ve always been overweight. My BMI is in the morbidly obese category. I’m about 5ft 5, and prior to this chain of events I was about 270ish. I’ve always been mildly insecure, basically because my sister is thin. But I am mostly confident in intimate situations and I have zero issues wearing a bathing suit in public.

I always told myself I would not allow myself to reach 300 lbs. and end of September/early October, I reached that dreaded milestone.

I know I tend to eat crappy and I hate to cook so I go out too much. But I was also born without a thyroid so I always struggled with my weight.

I checked out keto and I’ve done Weight Watchers in the past with good success. I’ve spent months in a gym, but always had reasons for not sticking to it, work, money, parenting etc.

Since I hit the 300, I’m now down to 282. My biggest obstacle is fighting the fatigue associated with the lack of thyroid. I get labs done regularly and they come back “normal” but I still feel crappy. Around the time of the 300lb, my health was especially concerning me.

I lost the 18 by cutting back on carbs, scaling back my soda consumption (I use to drink several a day, now it’s one, but I’m motivated to eliminate that one as well), no more Redbull, no more fast food or Hostess breakfasts.

I have found that intermittent fasting has really helped me. But I don’t think keto is a sustainable plan for me. A functional medicine doctor told me to go low carb as much as possible, with high protein plus fresh fruits and veggies so that is basically what has helped me lose the 18 lbs over the last 8 weeks.

I was hoping some other hypothyroid sufferers might share what they’ve done to assist in their weight loss. This can be advice ranging from diet and exercise to vitamins or how they treat their thyroid disorder.

My primary doctor recommended weight loss surgery but my insurance doesn’t cover it and I have a friend who recently had it done and she had some complications. Surgery would be my last option.

Thanks all!

submitted by /u/NoThyroidWeightLoss
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2E4etr2

No comments:

Post a Comment