Friday, November 30, 2018

Started 4 (M23)onths ago, just lost 1/8th of my body weight.

I hit 220 on the scale last night. I’d stared at it in August (leaning over to see around my gut) and seen 250. There was this voice in my head just saying “that’s an 1/8th of a ton bro. An EIGHTH!!!”

I snapped. I re-downloaded my fitness pal, bought a jug of protein powder, and started the one form of torture the government is ruled too extreme for terrorists: jogging. 3.5 miles a day.

Backstory: I’d started working out and eating better in my senior year of high school, and by graduation I’d hit 188. I was happy with that, but then college happened. Going to a new school away from everything I knew led to a sedentary lifestyle with poor nutritional choices (read: pizza, video games, and more pizza). So by the end of my freshman year, I was 235.

The “freshman 15” is coined because that’s the average a new student gains. I’d hit the freshman 50.

Luckily, things improved in my personal life. I’d made friends, and got out from living with a shitty roommate to being an RA. Sophomore year went fine, no gain. But junior year, a lot of outside factors crept in: parents had a tough divorce, money concerns over college, and my job was seriously starting to affect my mental health. I was 240 when I graduated, now suffering from depression, which also didn’t help with weight loss.

I started work in FEMA, just in time for Hurricane Harvey to hit. Hardest thing I ever did, and being rushed because of a disaster was good for the depression and the weight. I lost 10 pounds because of that. Then I got home, and started driving for Jimmy Johns. That obviously involved a lot of sandwiches and not a lot of movement, so I was at 250 before I knew it.

So on August first I started the torturous journey of getting back into shape. I bought some basic weights, and just started working on it hard. I started logging my meals and calories, and eating the right things. I was horrified at where I was, and I wanted to change it.

Fast forward to now. It’s been four months, and I’m down 12.5% of my body weight to 220 pounds. There is literally 1/8th less fat on me, and I’m in the best shape I’ve been since I was 18. I’ve had to put aside half of my wardrobe to put back on what I haven’t been able to wear in years. I look in the mirror and for once I don’t think “shit, Clark Kent let himself go” (that’s roughly what I look like)

And I’m still going, I’m planning on getting down to 170 by August of next year. I’m going to kick my own ass, and I can’t wait.

But through all of this, I’ve been lurking here. I’ve seen people help each other out, and support each other. And it’s made a real difference to a lot of people.

So I’m making my first post and I’m really excited. Thanks for all the motivation!

submitted by /u/NickPWasTaken
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2SjdXIX

No comments:

Post a Comment