Friday, November 30, 2018

Weightloss surgery doesn't work unless you change your eating habits

My title might be a bit strange but let me explain,

Back in 2008 I weighed 128 kilos (282 lbs) and instead of sending me to a dietitian or nutritionist my Dr decided I should get a gastric band fitted. I had the operation in 2008 and the weight loss started. I got down to 99 kilos (218 lbs) and had problems with the band so it got emptied. Not feeling full I was eating more and so I gained weight again. This yo-yo kept happening until 2012. Never once was I offered to learn what to eat instead or advised to count calories. Just told "don't eat chocolate, don't eat ice cream, don't eat fatty foods, don't drink fizzy drinks.

In 2012 things were okay-ish and I ended up moving abroad. Then, in February 2013, I fainted on the streets due to dehydration. The Drs at the hospital assumed this was due to the gastric band and so emptied it. By that time I weighed 85 kilos (187 lbs) and was on my way to my goal weight of 81 kilos (178 lbs) (PS I am aware that for my height of 178 cm ( 5"10) that's still above my healthy bmi range)

I've been unable to get it refilled as I didn't have the operation in the UK and my home country says my health insurance won't cover it so I will need to pay for it.

The problem is that I never learned how to eat healthy. I'm also on the spectrum and as I work full time I am often exhausted at the end of the day and so unwilling to spend a long time in the kitchen. I however have gained back all the weight I had lost and more.

So a decision had to be made. I need to get healthier. I joined this reddit, I'm logging everything I put in my mouth on MFP, including any vitamins and pain medication, I try and get my daily stepgoal suggested by my Garmin Vivoactive HR, and I just printed the foundation light program from darebee (https://darebee.com/programs/foundation-light-program.html ), which I found through the compendium appendix, to work through in December and i am actually motivated to get started on this.

submitted by /u/Myrmie
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Q15ygF

No comments:

Post a Comment