Thursday, December 27, 2018

How to respond to unsupportive husband?

Hey guys! I’m sure I’m not alone with this issue, so I was wondering if anyone could suggest ways to respond to my husband:

I’ve lost weight before (many attempted times, most successfully on weight watchers a few years back), and I seem to have the SAME issue come up each time I try to lose weight - my husband gets upset that I don’t want to eat out!

For example, his friend is celebrating a birthday at an all-you-can-eat brunch spot. I told my husband a week ago that I wouldn’t be able to make it, and he asked, “Because you’re busy? Or because of the food?” And I told him- yes, I’m free, but I have no self control at buffets and have been avoiding them (I especially love Indian buffets... can you tell? LOL). He kind of goes quiet and I don’t push it. But then today, as we’re casually making plans for this weekend for another group of friends, I mention that he can’t do Saturday with them because of his other friend’s birthday thing. He then goes, “So you’re really not coming because of your diet? It’s his birthday!! Just sit there and not eat!” For me, that is just not possible! I also don’t want to deal with random people’s judgment or questions.

I’m trying SO hard to understand his side. We used to love to eat out together, that was our thing! He’s also much more social than I am, and doesn’t think it’s good for him to go out to a bunch of group dinners without me. I do allow myself to eat out 1-2x a week, but it was my mom’s birthday last weekend and of course I enjoyed Christmas food guilt-free!!

So what to do? Has anyone dealt with this? If he was any other person in my life, I’d have no problem limiting my time with him/her - but obviously, he’s not! I want him to support me - and what really annoys me about this is that he doesn’t see his reaction as wrong!

In the end, I realize I’m responsible for what I eat, not him. But the guilt/frustration is hard to bear, especially when I honestly think he’s in the wrong here. Help! Who else has dealt with a spouse making it that much harder to stick to your weight loss goals?! How did you successfully deal with it??

submitted by /u/indianbuffetftw
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2T9Ewka

No comments:

Post a Comment