Sunday, December 30, 2018

The tiny 2018 NYE resolution that changed my life (and for the first time in years, it WASN'T to lose weight!)

I've always been overweight, since a teenager, so almost every year I can remember, I would go through the cycle of a New Year resolution to lose weight and by the end of the month, I would generally be off the wagon. The goal was usually alongside other unrealistic targets of getting fit, eating healthy yadda yadda.

In August 2017, my weight had increased to the point I was obese, so I hit those "resolutions" early - started a weight loss plan, joined a gym etc. However I was so unfit after living in a depression cave for 3 years and doing no exercise at all, I hated it! I was so unfit the gym near killed me (despite doing the "beginners" bootcamp class I was recommended to do, so I gave up after two weeks in shame of being so sore I could barely walk or sit on the toilet and fell off the weight loss wagon a week or so later.

In October 2017, I discovered fasting and was able to fit it into my lifestyle and finally start losing some weight, so after a few months when I moved to a new place that had a cheap 24 hour gym across the road, I decided it was time to try the gym again. However, this time I did it differently.

I joined the gym on Jan 2, 2018 with the single goal of going every day. Nothing else. It didn't matter if "going" just meant walking 20 mins on the treadmill, I wanted to build the habit of daily exercise, so I'd never be embarrassed again by not being able to run a few hundred metres or pick up heavy boxes.

I have kept that up all year and have missed just 5 days due to travel and work, which has led to some amazing transformations, as well as meaning that I've exercised on 360 days this year!

The first month (well probably the first 8 weeks) was brutal, as I was so badly unfit. Everything hurt and it seemed to take forever to get any type of fitness back which was really frustrating. I had trained for a marathon in 2013, but found myself unable to even run 1km at a really slow speed after a month. But regardless, I kept going. Even on the days I didn't want to go, I talked myself into just going for 10 minutes, so I could keep the habit up. Mostly I found that once I got there and started working out, I felt better and I was happy to keep going.

Around April, I went out for my first "run" on the road and in May, did my first run that was all running - not half walking! It was super slow, but I built it up over the year and a couple of weeks ago, I finally hit the one goal I had for the year - running 5kms in under 30 mins - yay!!

As well as being able to run again, my commitment to daily fitness has brought about so many other changes this year!

I started using the rowing machine at the gym and loved doing that so much, I went to the local rowing club for some coaching. To get coaching on the erg, I had to do a rookie course for on water rowing first. Despite never having rowed before or having any interest in it at all, I found a new sport that I loved! I've now have joined the club (which is awesome for social interaction) and compete at rowing regattas (and weirdly have become a morning person in the process, as rowing is a 5am wake up sport and I do it 4-5 days a week)

One of the girls who did the rookie course at the rowing club with me, is also a powerlifter and she asked me to train with her which I started a few months ago and I've found something else I LOVE! We're doing a powerlifting meet in March next year! I am especially in love with deadlifts and last week I could actually deadlift more than my bodyweight for reps - that felt SO good! (and I looked so strong haha)

Even though I didn't start with a plan to lose weight, it was more to make fitness the habit, I've still managed to lose another 9kgs/20lbs over the year as well. Most of that weight loss did come from dietary changes rather than the exercise though - 80% of weightloss is diet and all that. I did discover lose it and xxfitness on reddit around October 2018 as well, which was brilliant! Such supportive and amazing communities. The mario challenge really helped a lot. I've still got 8kgs to lose to get into a healthy weight range, which I'll slowly continue to lose.

So lots of surprises from that one tiny resolution and the best thing about all of it... my mental health has improved SO much this year as well. It's been awesome having something good to focus on and getting fitter and stronger has made me feel much more confident, so its been amazing all round.

All that came from the decision to exercise every day! So glad I didn't go big with the NY resolutions like I usually do and especially I didn't focus on losing weight like all those other years. What I did was achievable and helped me make lifelong changes.

So maybe making a small change, rather than a list of 5 or 10 things you want to change could be what makes the difference for you this New Year? I know for me - one small change was like a butterfly effect :)

Cheers to an amazing 2019 fellow lose it friends!

submitted by /u/Chopsueeeeee
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2EWDg0Q

No comments:

Post a Comment