Monday, December 31, 2018

What old ah-ha moments/old habits/beliefs/behaviours/taught information that was contributing to weight gain have you overcome and how did you realise?

I figure that with new year they’ll be a lot of people looking to change things up in the next few weeks. There’s a lot of us here who have had all kinds of experiences with weight loss and mountain of knowledge and tips exist between us all. I thought it might be helpful to start a thread where we can put those things we now know to be wrong or need to be moderated better in one place, because odds are somebody else is buying into those same things right now and might find it useful to see where others made changes.

For me, once I began calorie counting I also begun to have revelations about the things I’d always believed to be quick and healthy snacks. For instance, I’ve always had issues with chocolate and I do need to be an adult and deal with that, but whenever as a child or teenager I would complain about being hungry but mostly meaning ‘I need chocolate’ I would be told to have some toast or crumpets instead. As a snack. I now am gobsmacked that two pieces of bread, butter and a spread, or crumpets and butter and cheese are about as calorie dense as some of my meals, and the chocolate bar definitely would’ve been the better option of the two. I would then go on to get my chocolate bar anyway, because I’d eaten the instructed snack (that I didn’t really like) and was not satisfied, and would also go on to have my dinner and maybe biscuits/cookies or whatever other easy to access junk was around.

Crying in the changing room wondering how I’d put on so much weight I genuinely couldn’t understand or see any pattern in my eating that could equate to it, I was considering believing (as the relatives around me were insisting) that nothing could be done and I’m just from a family of big-boned people, despite all those years I was at a healthier weight. But now I’ve come most of the way on this journey and looking back I can see where I screwed up so clearly. Also, I’ve never even liked bread, and the amount of bread I used to get made to eat (because it was ‘healthy’) makes me angry, now my calories go on things I do like and it’s not bread.

What are things that contributed to your situation and how did you realise or overcome them?

submitted by /u/ladyoftheoceans
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2CGyKky

No comments:

Post a Comment