Monday, January 14, 2019

Encouragement from a stranger!

So, a little background: I posted here regularly-ish a couple years ago, after my second son was born, at around 227 lbs (I'm 32, female, and 5'2). I lost about seventy pounds, all while frequenting this sub.

Then, however, I started a new job, and had means for a bit more extravagance, and let my weigh loss efforts slip a bit.

Then, an IUD failure meant boy number three, which was another obvious weight loss speed bump. But of course, a great one.

I've recently re-started my efforts, and am now ten pounds down since last month, and am at about 185. My driver's license, however, reflects my highest weight ever of around 244 pounds, with the photo to match.

So now on to today:

This morning, I had a call from American Express. Apparently, while leaving Costco, I left my wallet on the roof of my car (it happens when you're loading up three little boys into a Honda Fit), and someone found it on the side of the road. The AmEx rep gave me the guy's number.

I called him, and we agreed to meet at a grocery store this evening. I dropped my boys with my mom and drove the half hour up the mountain to "upcountry" Maui. I texted him my car's description, and within minutes, he arrived and handed me my wallet, everything intact. He was a tall, thin, nice man in his sixties. I thanked him, slipped him some cash, and made my way back down the road. When I pulled into my mom's driveway, I noticed he'd left me another voicemail:

"Hey, it's [wallet guy]. I just wanted to mention something. When you texted me that you were standing by your car, I was looking for you based on the photograph on your driver's license. I really didn't recognize you. I just wanted to congratulate you on your obviously significant weight loss. You look great, and you should be really proud of yourself."

I listened to that voicemail three times before I went into my mom's house near tears. It's been a daunting thing, re-started my efforts after I let go of them for so long, but with that message, I was reminded how far I've come! Even though I put it on hold, I didn't gain it all back, and I'm still in a much better place than I was. I'll tell you, I'll never delete that voicemail, and it has been incredible encouragement for me to keep up my hard work, especially as I start back to work from leave again tomorrow.

Good night, friends!

submitted by /u/squunchkin
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2Hg8vWz

No comments:

Post a Comment