Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Happy 2019! I've lost and maintained 62 pounds, so here are 62 benefits of being at a healthy weight

I'm a 5'9" male and in June of 2017, I weighed 202 lbs. When 2018 rolled around, I hit my goal weight of 140 lbs and I've maintained 135-140 lbs since then. That's a 62 lb+ loss. So here are 62 perks of eating well, exercising, and maintaining a healthy weight. Some are general, some are specific instances in my own life.

  1. I have a better attitude every day. I'm happier than I was before (if you're struggling with depression, losing weight should help, but you should see a mental health professional, as nothing replaces therapy and/or the correct medication).

  2. I have more self-discipline and work harder to achieve other goals.

  3. I have more self-respect and stand up for myself. In short, I value myself more.

  4. I'm better at my job and enjoy it more than I did in the past.

  5. I feel more valued by others (even if they've always cared for me).

  6. I have a wider range of hobbies now that I'm not averse to exercise (especially distance running).

  7. I finally feel like I have a "talent" (which is running. I'm nowhere near elite, but I've improved a lot in a year and a half). This has been really important for my mental health and my sense of self-worth.

  8. I get sick much less often.

  9. I bounce back from illnesses (from colds to food poisoning) much faster.

  10. I'm more engaged in conversations and I'm more interested in other people.

  11. I no longer hide my insecurities behind self-depreciating jokes about my weight or self-worth.

  12. I go to bed early to let my body recover from my training, not because I'm lethargic or bored.

  13. Eating is no longer my hobby.

  14. I use my free time more productively.

  15. I generally have more energy.

  16. I enjoy going out in public.

  17. I enjoy clothes shopping.

  18. I put more effort into my appearance.

  19. I've learned that comfort eating is a shitty way to relieve stress and I've found better outlets.

  20. My penis looks bigger.

  21. Women compliment my appearance more often.

  22. My sex life is more fun existent.

  23. I barely made it in time to check into a flight because I was able to run for 15 minutes at a decent clip while dragging my luggage behind me.

  24. I'm more adventurous when it comes to food.

  25. Food tastes better. As it turns out, that fancy chocolate tastes great if I don't shovel it into my mouth. 🤔

  26. I appreciate thermodynamics more than I did in Chemistry and Physics in college.

  27. I'm not going to get scammed by some juice cleanse commercial.

  28. I appreciate the human body's capabilities more.

  29. I found Fat Families, the best weight loss show to grace our green Earth.

  30. My resting heart rate has gone from 65-70 to 50-55.

  31. My blood pressure readings are normal.

  32. It's easier to slide out of my car in a crowded parking lot.

  33. I'm not the fat American stereotype (I live in Asia at the moment).

  34. Summer isn't actually the worst season.

  35. Traveling on foot while exploring cities is fun!

  36. Walking 30-40k steps in a day is rare, but it doesn't take a week to recover from it when it does happen.

  37. While I still look much younger than 24, nobody says that I have a baby face anymore. AKA: my cheeks aren't fat.

  38. Speaking of cheeks, face gains are the best gains.

  39. I don't feel as though a future girlfriend would be settling for me.

  40. Airplanes are more comfortable (though this is partly due to flexibility. Don't neglect your flexibility training, folks).

  41. I learned how to cook (still learning though).

  42. I've learned that it's kind of fun to lightly drum on my collarbone.

  43. It's easier to be overdramatic and extra when you have increased mobility.

  44. My groceries cost a lot less than they did before.

  45. I sweat less from everyday activities.

  46. I smell better.

  47. I use less soap when bathing.

  48. My acne cleared up a bit beyond what my normal skincare routine did.

  49. I paced the 1600m run for my school's yearly physical fitness test, which was fun.

  50. I can see my collarbone! :o

  51. It's easy to find my size when I go shopping for clothes (as I mentioned, I live in Asia).

  52. I'm more open to new experiences. I was invited to go climbing and I would have never done that in the past.

  53. I don't feel like a fraud when giving my students life advice.

  54. That time I played volleyball and was able to defend a spike by diving was badass.

  55. That time I did a backflip on a trampoline was badass.

  56. I don't overanalyze social interactions due to insecurities about my weight. I still overanalyze them once in a while, but not nearly as much.

  57. I don't randomly pull muscles as much as I did before. Funnily enough, I pulled one earlier today.

  58. I'm more concerned about other aspects of my health (especially my teeth).

  59. I get to hear my friends say that I "glowed up." :)

  60. Those people that said I couldn't do this, or would gain all of my weight back? I proved them wrong and will continue to do so.

  61. I don't hate swimming anymore.

  62. I feel like I make my nurses' and doctors' jobs just a little bit easier.

Apologies if other people have done this before, but I felt inspired to say this and maybe it'll resonate with people who are just starting or are in the middle of their weight loss journey. You got this! :)

Oh yeah, here are some progress pictures! (Warning: one shirtless picture)

submitted by /u/RunEatBloonsSleep
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2CKDi9D

No comments:

Post a Comment