Monday, January 21, 2019

Hit my first goal of 50lbs lost!!

First I want to thank everyone on this sub for being a source of inspiration. I lurk here everyday and its a major part of what keeps me going!

A quick background on me, I've always been overweight and been kind of meh about it to be honest. I just took it as another part of who I was. Even though I played football in high school, I was still fit-fat and it worked there. Going into my undergrad and eventually masters, it quickly went out of control. I always told myself I was around 350 lbs, while not great, I always told myself it could be much worse. Whenever I went to the doctor, I declined to get weighed in and would avoid the doctor at times so I wouldn't have to argue with the nurse about it.

Eventually, I decided that I was almost 30 and I had never had a boyfriend and the best chance I had of getting into a relationship was losing weight (shallow reasoning but it got me started). I started going to the gym and working out with a personal trainer in mid-2017 and had to get weighed in and found out I was 397 lbs! I was absolutely mortified and heartbroken, but I used it as my come to Jesus moment and decided to start working out. I told myself that I was going to focus on how I felt and not check my scale at all. Early 2018, I started doing filipino martial arts to supplement my work outs and keep moving forward.

This past August I ended up losing my mom to cancer and that took its toll on me but it was convinced me to get my health under control again. So I scheduled a meeting with my doctor and had a full physical done. My doctor ran full bloodwork and I had low blood pressure, low cholesterol, good heart rate, and no pressing health concerns. He referred me to a nutritionist so I could learn to eat healthier. I met with the nutritionist and he wanted me to weigh in so he could get an idea of where I was. My mortification was back when I weighed in at 385 lbs. A full year of working out regularly only lost me 12 lbs. Starting working with him about learning to eat more balanced meals and sticking to a calorie count (I don't even want to think about how many calories I was eating daily last year).

After meeting with him, I started looking for more support and fount this subreddit along with a few others that helped push me forward and keep me motivated. Eventually I started working on incorporating a calorie counting app (loseit!) into my routine which has really helped me focus on eating less that 2,000 calories a day. At the suggestion of a friend, I started working out drinking more water (I cut out sodas from my diet, but never replaced them with anything!). Eventually I came across r/intermittentfasting and tried a 16/8 which was really easy for me and helped move lose more weight. I've even lost track sometimes and done a 24 fast without meaning too. I started weighing myself in everyday and constantly tracking where my weight is (I'm a researcher by training, for me, more data is a good thing)

Yesterday, I hit my first major milestone and have hit an overall weight loss of 50 lbs! It was one of those moments where I got on the scale twice to confirm it! Even though I don't see any big differences in the mirror, I have a couple of jeans that I had tailored early last year and they are too big for me!

I'm just really proud of myself and my journey so far and totally didn't mean to write an essay on this, but thank you for reading and to this community for constantly providing motivation!

submitted by /u/makochile
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2FEl1h9

No comments:

Post a Comment