Sunday, January 6, 2019

I don’t want to be a big fat party animal anymore

This is my Day 1.

I’m 21 years old, Male, 5’10”, 95kg/210lbs.

I’ve just come out of the gym for the first time in a couple of years and I can’t stop smiling. How did I forget how much I used to love this?

However, I need some advice from anyone who has been in a similar position.

When I was a kid I was a fat kid. It didn’t get me down particularly, but I didn’t actively enjoy being a fat kid. I felt like if I wanted to be a popular teenager who could get with girls I would have to lose some weight. So when I was 13 I started going to the gym above my mum’s salon and counting calories. I would eat fairly healthy things (for a 13 year old) like Uncle Ben’s rice and pre packaged prawn salads from Tesco for lunch. Soon I had lost a lot of weight and I wasn’t a fat kid. From age 13 to 16 I not only kept the weight off but started building muscles and playing rugby.

Then at 16 I started going to the pub. And I haven’t really stopped until now. At the time I remember thinking “this is it...you’ve worked hard for three years to be a fit young man...now you can let your hair down.” And I went out partying every weekend, going to the pub whenever I wasn’t partying, eating shit because I was hungover, smoking to look cool. And despite starting to put on a little bit of weight, I got more popular, I was a party animal! I started to think how stupid it was to go to the gym. How I used to think that going to the gym would make people like you when really alcohol made people like you. I got into a relationship with an older girl and got comfortable with this reckless lifestyle. I remember her telling me I was gaining weight and saying “yeah but when lads spend all day at the gym, the bigger dudes are getting off with their girlfriends at a party.” I genuinely believed it.

Anyway then we broke up. I drank, which made me fatter, which made me comfort eat out of anxiety, which made me fat and upset, which made me bad at sport/gym, which made me quit.

And since then I’ve maintained my weight at 95kg. I’ve done no real exercise for about three years. I go to the pub a couple of times a week, go to watch the football almost every weekend and have about 10 pints, and go to parties and uni events regularly. I have a very active social life.

Today I decided enough was enough. I spent all last night browsing this sub. Woke up and downloaded myfitness pal and after uni I went to the gym. I was so out of shape but afterwards I just felt fantastic. I’m about to go to bed having only had 1700kcals and I feel fine.

While I was in the gym I had three people text me saying, “when are we going to the pub?”, “hope you can’t wait to get absolutely battered on my birthday next week ;)”, and “do you want my spare ticket for City away next month? Train beers beckon”.

So here’s where I need the advice. How do you balance social life with weight loss?

I don’t want to be a big fat party animal anymore, I don’t even want to be a party animal with a healthy bmi. But it seems that all my friendships are based around going out and drinking. Does anyone have any experience of this? And how they managed to not lose all their friends with their weight? Has anyone lost weight while still going to the pub regularly? Would appreciate any advice from anyone, but especially from UK redditors. The drinking culture is so ingrained in this country and I really don’t think the solution is as easy as saying “just stop drinking altogether”, especially as a student.

Thanks in advance! Excited to be starting my journey 😎

submitted by /u/AnonAFC71
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2LVAklA

No comments:

Post a Comment