Saturday, January 5, 2019

Scared I can’t actually lose weight

I am very overweight... probably considered morbidly obese. I have always been overweight, but have managed to lose weight and maintain the loss a few times in my life. And I am old enough now to like myself, no matter how I look. I am kind, funny, smart and genuinely care about people - I am a pretty good person!

When I was 33, I had a brain stem stroke from a problem in my vertebral artery. It was scary, and took a long time to recover. But I DID recover, and apart from a few sensory changes, I am fine. But since then, I have gradually piled on the weight. I also went through some awful relationship dramas, leading to divorce and lots of mother guilt. And the weight has gradually crept up and up. I am at the stage now where I am uncomfortable and have pain in my knee and foot, which I KNOW would improve if I lost weight. I am a Nana, and want to be able to play with my grandkids more. I want to lose weight to feel better and to be healthier... and I want to do it for me - NOT because anyone is pressuring me or taunting me (which has happened in previous relationships). My partner is also overweight, and I worry about his health, but I would never “make” him lose weight. If he wants to, I will support and encourage him, but it’s also fine with me if he doesn’t.

So today I signed up to a weight loss group for a free trial. And I intend to try really hard. But at my age, and with my track record, I am scared I can’t do it! My partner is a “feeder”, and I am scared I won’t have the willpower to resist. And I am my own worst critic, expecting myself to be perfect at everything I do... I have been working on my psychological faults, and I am much better than I used to be, but for some reason, I am really scared and questioning my ability to start / follow / stick to a healthier lifestyle. Almost like I would be happier to not even try so that I can’t fail.

Not sure what I want. I have never posted before. Maybe I just need to hear that it is hard, but it is also possible to lose weight and get healthier in your 50s, that it is not too late. Any comments or advice or encouragement would be gratefully accepted.

submitted by /u/DrTracey65
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2QqAFh4

No comments:

Post a Comment