Wednesday, January 9, 2019

The time is now

CW: 415+ (unsure, haven’t been on a scale in well over 6 months) GW: 225 Short term goal: 20 pounds down

A couple days ago I decided I was going to start my weight loss journey for the last time. I have tried many times in the past and been mildly successful when I gave real effort to maintaining a healthier diet/lifestyle.

For some reason, I have never been able to stick with it. A couple weeks here, one week there, complete on and off stuff. Until the periods of unhealthy eating grew longer without those “random bursts of eating healthy”.

I think in the past I have failed because I would completely restrict myself from the foods I like. I like pizza. I love to go out and get chicken wings or drinks with my friends. I’m really just an average college guy- one that is just overweight, one where I’m really not the best version of myself at all. I cannot be well over 400 pounds (haven’t been on a scale in six months) and live a normal life. I’m very scared of the health risks too.

More recently, I had just moved away to go to college last fall. Due to a heavy workload and general feeling of depression because of being heavy at a new school, I became extremely inactive and did nothing besides my routine of studying, going to class, sitting around and, you guessed it, eating out way too often.

In high school I was always big, but I was athletic and played sports so my weight never spiraled out of control. Sports are my life, honestly. And it sucks that now I’m at a weight where I’m a complete liability when playing pick up basketball or something with friends.

Towards the end of last semester I knew I had to do something if I didn’t want to keep wasting my life. I wanted to experience the ability of having true fun and happiness without the constant fear that being obese somehow stop it.

I just started replacing a lot of my normal take out meals with stuff I cook. Since I love to cook, this is no problem. Instead of not letting myself eat pizza, I have one slice instead of 3-4. I know if I incorporate my favorite foods into a diet just in smaller portions I can make this a habit. Besides, eating out is way too expensive anyways.

I’m going to start going to the gym again and starting out slow and building my way up, again so I don’t place unrealistic expectations on myself too soon. I never realized it before but it’s a marathon, and not a sprint. This is something that should be sustainable as a lifestyle.

Lastly, I want to say this subreddit changed the way I viewed weight loss. I never thought it was this real attainable goal until I saw the true stories of real people who have done it. I think just having the ability to read about weight loss on my phone will keep me honest so it’s not something I lose focus of.

I know how important this is, and I can’t put it off any longer. I can’t put off wanting to experience my early 20s as a more fit and healthier person any longer. It would do wonders for my self confidence and self esteem, too. I would love to get down in the 250 pound range eventually. But in the short term I just want to lose 20 pounds.

I guess when I started this post I didn’t really know what I was expecting to say. If you made it to the end, I appreciate you. I just wanted to get these thoughts out for others to see. Hey, maybe there are other people who feel the same way and are ready to take their lives back. I’m done living life this way, and I’m going to stick with it this time. Thank you.

submitted by /u/seskus2
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2slCuSS

No comments:

Post a Comment