Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Frustration with lack of support and knowledge from family

I (25f) have been on a weight loss journey for the past 6 years, and have made a significant amount of progress. I've backtracked a little, but am now firmly on track again. I take a slow and steady approach using CICO and IIFYM. I don't try to restrict myself from any one thing completely, but am very mindful about my choices and make sure to use moderation. So, I splurge on occasion, but make sure it fits into my budget first.

However, I am seriously frustrated with the comments and attitude coming from some family members. My MIL (who I love dearly), does not grasp a lot of the concepts of nutritional science, despite also trying to lose weight an be healthier. She makes comments to me about how I can't eat cheese if I want to lose weight or don't need to eat beans because they have carbs in them. In fact, she will tell my significant other not to give me certain foods, as if I cannot make those decisions myself. Then, 5 minutes later, she will encourage me to have a few beers or put sugar in my pot of chili. Seriously, sugar in my healthy meal-prep chili that I was supposed to eat this week! Now I don't feel comfortable eating it! She comes from a place of love, but her perspective on some nutritional concepts is seriously flawed, but she acts like I will never be successful if I don't do exactly what she says (despite already being 50 lbs down).

My own mother also makes fun of me in front of others for trying to make good choices. For example, during a family gathering, I had initially planned on not having room in my budget for a beer or two. But, I made a few different choices, and ended up having room for a beer. I thought to myself out loud "Yeah, I guess I could have a beer, it fits into my day now." And my mom laughed and said to everybody else "Isn't it funny how she has to give herself permission?" and trying to get everybody else to laugh at me too.

Individually, these occurrences are trivial. But they happen all the time. Not to mention, my MIL and mom are not afraid to tell me "You have love handles" or "You should be 140 lbs" or "You shouldn't weight lift, you should bike" and all other sorts of things. I feel like I am being sabotaged by the people who are going to turn around and give me a hard time if I don't succeed! I'm an emotional wreck today because I'm so frustrated with the cumulative occasions of this happening. I feel like my only choice is to keep my head down, keep trucking, and try to ignore everybody else. But I can't have this much emotional distress all the time either.

submitted by /u/ShrunkenChesticles
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2NfHUZ1

No comments:

Post a Comment