Friday, February 8, 2019

HAES and Weight Loss

I'm in undergrad studying dietetics and hope to one day be a registered dietitian. I have networked with and follow lots of RDs and Future RDs on social media. The field of dietetics is going through a massive debate and paradigm shift over many things, but the biggest one right now is HAES vs. traditional weight-loss based practice. Many dietitians, especially younger ones, are starting to take an anti-diet approach. Now, there's a huge spectrum. The majority are reasonable and still believe that higher weight carries health risks, they just don't believe any fad diet is going to be a sustainable way of eating. There is, however, a growing amount who are anti-anything that could be remotely related to dieting or restriction, citing it as "disordered eating behavior." I see those messages often, and I check this sub and r/fatlogic often and compare what's being said.

Personally, my nutrition philosophy is still forming, and I want to keep gaining information and experiences from both sides, which is why I'd like to ask for discussion and sharing of opinions from people in the thick of wrestling with their relationships with food. I personally have never had to worry about weight in my life (collegiate athlete and generally healthy diet), but I have family members who have drastically different body types than I do. I strongly dislike fad diets (basically any way of eating that creates rigid restrictions, cuts out entire food groups, and demonizes certain foods). I do not think they are sustainable, and I believe all foods can fit into a healthy lifestyle. I do think body positivity is important, and people of all sizes deserve to be treated with dignity and respect in healthcare and general life. I really like the philosophy of intuitive eating and how people can learn to identify the reasoning behind their hunger cues and get away from emotional or bored eating.

However, I just can't get behind the HAES movement and all of its tenants. I have personally never had weight issues, but I can't imagine that living as a heavily overweight person is easy both physically and mentally. I think there's no way to deny the research that has established links between obesity and health issues. I hear the HAES-aligned RDs screech about how correlation doesn't equal causation and how weight stigma is causing more health issues than obesity. I just can't believe that weight doesn't cause any health problems. The fact that most of these RDs are less than 35 years old, thin, mostly fit, and white leads me to believe that most of them don't know what it's like to be fat and have it take a toll on your health. I see some really REALLY HAES-positive people even saying that health doesn't matter (the main ones that come to mind are Christy Harrison, Ragen, etc.) and anyone advocating any weight loss is advocating eating disorders.

I want to hear about the experiences of people who have struggled with weight and their relationship with food. I hear so much of the HAES message, and I want to hear more about the other side. I read research, but I know personal stories also make a difference. Please share any opinions or experiences!

submitted by /u/cinderkitteh
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2WJ6KVw

No comments:

Post a Comment