Monday, February 11, 2019

The Cognitive Dissonance of telling myself “I’ll wait until the weight is off before doing other things.”

Hello everybody. I’m mostly making this post as a note to myself, but I figure if it can help somebody else on their journey that would be cool.

I am down 34 pounds. I feel better. At the beginning of this whole thing I was a complete mess. 24 year old man with nothing going on. Didn’t take care of myself. Didn’t treat people well, and when I did it was at the expense of myself and my own feelings. A sudden epiphany, triggered by God knows what, occurred within me. I was wasting my life. I thought back to when I was 18 and 6 years had passed. 6 more and I’ll be 30. The clock is ticking. I started my weight loss battle that day. Much to my surprise, the eating has been the easiest part. I don’t really have a choice in that matter, that’s something I can’t and won’t fail. The struggle comes more on the mental and emotional side of the coin. I am impatient. I want results now. Except when it comes to improving other areas of my life. For some reason I’m pretty lax there. I refuse to be anymore.

“I’ll get a job when I can physically do it consistently.” “I can’t get my drivers license yet because I can’t pay for gas and insurance if I don’t have a job.” These were excuses I told myself, inconsistencies in my thought process that would have been perfectly at home in the brain of the old me. Waiting for the weight to come off is totally fine, just not for myself.I can’t wait. The early stages of weight loss have reignited my passions. I need to do more. This post serves also as a memo of accountability. I WILL have my liscence by Easter. I WILL have a job lined up in the same time frame. I have been getting better at self-love, and by proxy of that self-love, I will not allow myself to fall short.

We all have to deal with how we go about this process. For the first time in a long time, I’m putting myself in control.

Edit: I wrote this on my IPhone, and the autocorrect feature on this thing is out of control. Sorry for any errors due to that.

submitted by /u/KevinStallingsIsISIS
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2DziYHu

No comments:

Post a Comment