Tuesday, February 5, 2019

What feels different about your current weight loss journey compared to your previous ones? Why do you think the previous attempts failed?

I think that most of us have tried to lose weight at least once before. I know I have. But most times, I would fail after a 3-4 months max. I think there are a few reasons this time is more successful (this month will mark my second anniversary on this whole weight loss journey) and I want to share some of them:

  1. I know a lot more about nutrition and how weight loss works in general. Back in the day, I knew nothing about TDEE, water weight etc. I'd just think that I should eat one salad (no sauce, just lettuce, onion, tomato and one tablespoon of olive oil), one fruit and one small piece of grilled chicken per day, in order to lose weight. And that would work for a while, but the restriction would be too intense after a few weeks and I would start binging. Now, I can eat whatever, just in moderate amounts and I can stay relatively satiated most of the time, without missing any of my favorite stuff.
  2. I am no longer in a hurry. In these two years, I've lost almost 50 pounds. That's a relatively small amount of weight in such a long time, but I've realised that if I keep even a moderate deficit for too long, I will start feeling very deprived and have the urge to binge. So I lose about 1 pound per week for 3-4 months and then maintain for an equal amount of time, until I start losing again. I think this is a good practice at maintenance for when I eventually reach my goal weight.
  3. I realised that the problem was not my weight; my weight was the symptom of the deeper problem, which is my relationship with food, eating, self image and self esteem. So I had to stop searching for a quick fix and had to start doing some hard, scary work. Sometimes it still feels like I don't know what I'm doing, but I feel way more sure about myself, overall.
  4. I let go of my ideal image. My goals were unrealistic and that made me disappointed and overwhelmed. Now I am more confident because I know that my goals are healthy and achievable for my body type and the work I am willing to put.
  5. I let go of the all or nothing mentality. Period.

There are many more little things that I could add, but I feel like these five were the most important. How about you?

submitted by /u/uniqueeleni
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2GbtBnS

No comments:

Post a Comment