Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Any words of wisdom for a friend of mine who’s convinced none of the most basic / 101 weight loss success advice applies to her? :(

Hullo all,

I’ve long been a quiet admirer of how strong, courageous and wonderful the folk of this community are, to themselves and for each other.

I’ve got a friend visiting from overseas at the moment. She’s always struggled with her weight, but it was quite a shock to see her when she arrived - objectively I’d say she’s gone from overweight to morbidly obese in the last year or so.

She broke her ankle nine months ago, and it is STILL causing her issues - which I suspect may have contributed - but then I also suspect it’s so slow to heal because she’s putting the poor bones and tendons through so much more strain. :(

Since she’s been here, she’s danced around the subject of weight loss with me every now and again. I’m someone who lost a good amount of weight last year and did a lot to reform my habits, so I’m always happy to talk about things, help where I can.

Yesterday evening she point blank told me that she spent six straight months:

  • eating 1800 kcal a day when her calorie burn was 3000 - 3500

  • tracking her energy expenditure to ensure she got a target number of steps in (to prevent subconscious reduction in daily activity) as well as weight training

  • weighing and measuring all of her food daily “I even weighed my vegetables”

  • over estimating when logging her calories when she went out for food or drinks to ensure a margin of error

  • never ever ever “cheating,” not once, not ever EVER

  • “I played with every possible variation of macros”

Apparently by the end of this... six month period... she tells me she’d lost about ten total pounds, and went down a dress size.

Like I’m sure a lot of you are doing, I can’t help but feel a little sceptical about it. The only things she’d say weren’t perfect were that she didn’t have a lot of social or family support at the time; she wasn’t sleeping very well and work was insanely stressful.

I know stress and poor sleep knock most of our efforts but they still don’t defy the laws of physics. She says she got her bloods done and has no illness that would contribute to lowering of metabolism (even if she’d hashimoto’s or something, at that extremity of deficit you’d still see more change than that).

I honestly think she’s lying to herself about what she actually did and perhaps has gotten to a point where she maybe believes the lie, so now she sells it to everyone else to avoid “feeling stupid” when she’s on the subject (this would fit very much with what I know of her personality).

As well as that, everything I see of how she’s doing here doesn’t suggest to me someone who’s spent that much time immaculately tracking and learning about diet; she had no idea why you’d need electrolytes after sweating hard, for example; she drinks incredibly sugary sodas and ice teas all day; she is utterly ruled by her hunger and eats mostly bliss-point palatable foods (high carb/fat, low protein), and at one point tried to criticise me for “eating restrictively” after we’d spent a day together (I am a slim-healthy woman who’s currently on crutches and very mobility limited, but are 2400 calories on that day - makes me think she’s very unlikely to be the macros & calorie expert she thinks she is).

It would be very easy to dismiss her and ridicule her behind her back, but she is my friend and I am genuinely worried that if she keeps digging a hole with her health this way, she may not make it past her forties.

I wonder if any of you have any advice or takes on how to get past this kind of mentality, or ways to get around the bullshit she’s selling herself and encourage her to a more positive route for her mind and her physical health?

Appreciate it so much. And thank you again for creating this lovely community! 💙

submitted by /u/DiamondFeline
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Wan7th

No comments:

Post a Comment