Thursday, March 7, 2019

I'm seeing real results for the first time in my life. But I've plateaued. Pls help!

Hi guys,

I've never really posted here before and I haven't really lurked either. I came across this subreddit a little while back while doing some research into weight loss and wanted to ask for some help. There is a TL/DR and I'm sorry for the wall of text below.

So I've been struggling with my weight for more most of my life. I've never really lost substantial amounts of weight usually for lack of trying. I'm a huge lover of junk food and hater of exercise, usually having two dinners a day with a (un)healthy amount of junk food.

Recently, I decided to turn things around and lose as much as possible and live healthier. I was initially 118kg (260lbs) and have successfully brought down my weight to 112kg (246lbs) through a combination of walking and dieting. The only problem is my "dieting" is rather extreme. I basically started out with protein shakes and non starchy vegetables for almost every meal (once in awhile, maybe once a week, I'd cheat on one meal with a pizza or burger). But I was consistent and I lost the 6kg (13lbs) within about 3 - 4 weeks. I was eating around 1100 calories a day and exercising at least 400 - 500 calories off during the day.

The only real problem is I've kinda plateaued at the moment. I've been stuck on 112kg for about a week now and just today morning hit 111.7kg. I assume the weight loss I had was due to the system being shocked at the sudden change of diet and exercise, and is now probably compensating for this. Now I'm down to eating around 800 calories per day (primarily with non starchy, green vegetables and I cut back on the protein shakes for some meals) with the same 400 - 500 calories worked off (mainly by walking).

I was reading online and apparently the body can go into "starvation" mode where it would stop burning fat and start burning muscle and also slow my metabolism down drastically to compensate for the lack of nutrients. I'm taking in. I started doing some weights at a nearby gym to try to cut back on the loss of muscle and I assume that I should be having at least protein to go with the veggies in my diet now.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with how I could keep going to lose this weight as fast as possible. I know it might not be sustainable in the long run, but I have a really great support group and for the first time in my life I've readily given up my dependence on junk food. I know I can keep it going as long as I can see results every week, but not sure if the human body can really push through it. Is there any way to maintain progress or reduce the impact of the starvation mode? I'm not really expecting this to last forever, but the more I can lose earlier when I've got the motivation and drive to push through would be super helpful.

TL/DR:

I'm eating around 600 - 800 calories a day (mainly in non starchy green vegetables and occasional protein shakes). I'm also burning around 400 - 500 calories during the day by walking and light weight lifting. I lost weight fairly quickly (around 6kg in 3 - 4 weeks) and I wanted to know if there was anyway to keep up the rate of progress as I seem to have plateaued. Googling seems to indicate my body might be switching to starvation mode where it slows down my metabolism and burns muscle rather than fat. Is there anyway to keep my metabolism high, while still eating around 600 to 800 calories a day, and also still ensuring to burn fat rather than muscle?

submitted by /u/so1us
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2EUem0B

No comments:

Post a Comment