Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Just realized I’ve been counting calories since before cell phones were invented.

Well at least internet connected phones. To preface this I am and have always been in a normal BMI. F, 40 something years young. 5’9 145-160 lbs depending on the sitting President at the time. Sometimes on the higher end for my height, sometimes on the lower end. But calorie counting has for the most part always been a part of my daily routine. It started in college right after high school while Trying to shake off a few of the freshman lbs and starting to hit the gym. Eager not to eat back the workout calories I carried a little book around in my backpack that listed the calories in almost every food. Basically the nutrition facts bible before laws mandated that food companies print them on the label (yes that’s relatively new thing for all you milenials out there). I felt a little obsessive at the time so it was my little secret book. But in reality it was the tool that would teach me how to properly eat for my health.

Over the years I’ve gotten pretty good at eyeballing a plate of food and tallying up calories in my head. How much fuel do I need vs how much food to I want. Not 100% accurate but works in a pinch. It’s probably why I’ve never left a healthy BMI and still fit into my prom dress (I actually wore it to a friends wedding 2 years ago! Hello 1996 is making a comeback!)

I got really good at counting calories about 10 years ago when on a bet/dare with a friend to prove I could quit cigarettes and outrun him in an international marathon within six months. As my weekly mileage grew during training so did my calorie intake. It had to. I Had to eat a lot to recover from those long run days and make sure to store energy for the next day. Towards the end of training I was running between 25-40 miles a week and could easily eat 3000 a day. All real food mind you. McDonald’s is not fuel. I remember the moment I crossed the finish line I couldn’t think of anything but food. Gobbled down an entire pizza, 2 ice cream cones and like a bottle of wine. But hey I was in Europe! After that though it was back to normal eating and regular excercise. I gained about 7 lbs in a month regardless.

Since then I’ve been eyeballing my food and when a few lbs creep into the scale I go back to my counting calories at a deficit. Although now there’s an app for that instead of my little tattered book. I’ll amp up the excercise for a few weeks/months and lay off the booze.

So why am I telling you this. Well for a lot of you calorie counting is new. And maybe you are new to trying to lose weight. While you might find it time consuming and sometimes mind consuming thinking about it all the time. It does get easier and will become second nature to you. Eventually you will reach your weight loss goal but it’s important to always keep the healthy habits you are developing now in your future life. So here’s a few tips I’ve learned along the way.

1) don’t starve yourself. It doesn’t work. Your body needs fuel to function. That’s how body’s work. Yours is no different.

2) it’s a long road....especially towards the end. Don’t get off the ride just cause the ride slows down. It’s taken me 3 months to lose the 6lbs I put on between summer and Christmas.

3) treat yourself occasionally. But make it a really good cheat. When I’m craving something good I make it from scratch with real ingredients and portion it out. Hence the ooey gooey from scratch lemon squares in my fridge labeled 220 cals each. Just one a day only hits the spot.

4) alcohol will derail you. This ones not for everyone but I don’t know anyone who can have one 4oz glass of wine and call it quits....do you? I certainly couldn’t so I barely ever touch the stuff anymore.

5) stop comparing yourself to other people. Just do you. Focus on your goals and pat yourself on the back for how far come you’ve come...even if it’s just been one day since you’ve decided to better your health. Chances are that other person is comparing themselves to someone else anyway....maybe even you.

6) six pack abs. I’ve never had them and probably never will. I’ve never been much of a strength training person. I’ve learned to just accept that without muscle building work I’ll just have to settle for a slightly squishy mid section. Dieting and cardio alone will not make you have six pack abs.

7) eat your vegetables. And fruits....and some dairy and protein....and even a little fat and sugar....but just a little.

So that’s it for now. I wish you all well on your journeys to a healthier you and thank you for being so inspiring, honest and supportive community.

I’m off to see if my old prom dress has come back in style yet.

submitted by /u/chef_bette
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2TjPu6e

No comments:

Post a Comment