Monday, March 11, 2019

Looking for Input on a Difference of Opinions

I'm a little conflicted here and could use some input. Part of it stems from probably an unhealthy way of looking at calories and the such.

TL/DR: 5'11", 23 yo male at 248lb. Going on hiking trip this summer and wanting to get to around 200lb before I go. Was eating 1800cals/day, friend who is trying to help says to eat 2850 cals/day. Not sure if I should continue what I was doing, follow his advice or what.

So for the past week (and other times I've tried dieting), I've eaten around 1800-1900 calories per day. I am currently 248lb, 5'11", 23yo and male. Some friends and I are going on a hiking trip this summer and for me to be able to complete this without injury or severly slowing down the group, I'm thinking I need to be around 210lb and in better shape. To help with this, I asked one of my friends on this trip who is the same age and height as me to help me figure out a plan in terms of eating and the gym. Here comes the issue.

What he gave me as a diet plan has upwards of 2850 calories per day. I feel like this is way too much (going back to the unhealthy relationship thing) but he was at a similar weight to my starting weight (280lb) and lost it and its around 200lb now. I've looked at calculators and stuff online, put in sedentary like I've always been told and nothing comes up to a number close to that. The max I saw was to lose a half pound a week and that was around 2600 cals a day. Part of this plan has me going to the gym 5 days a week, 2 of those days being 20min or so of cardio. I also work in a kitchen and a warehouse where I am constantly walking. I have 4 or 5 shifts in total from both places each week. So I'm not exactly sedentary.

I tried asking him about it but for as long as I've known him, he's always very set in his opinion and what he says. This led him to say I should just go to a nutritionist if I don't trust him. I told him when he set this plan out that I will try it and see what happens but the concern is there. I know in the long run that trying for a week or two isn't going to drastically affect my over all weight loss, and I'm not opposed to eating more food but I really don't know what to do here. I can always go back to how I was eating, but as he points out, I never stick to my diets so maybe I do need to actually increase my calories per day.

submitted by /u/rolosmith123
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2NX1YzL

No comments:

Post a Comment