Thursday, March 21, 2019

Tips for Depression after Major Weight Loss

I am 26 year old male who is 6'3". Over the past year and a half, I have lost 126 lbs (from 323 to 197). I have suffered from depression since my early teen years, which has led to a cycle of weight gain and weight loss over the years. My weight loss this time is different, since I lost the weight relatively slower and it was a complete lifestyle change (as opposed to fad crash dieting). As a result of the weight loss, I have some loose skin and some fat that still needs to be toned, but overall, I look and physically feel 1000x better. However, my depression is as bad as it has ever been, and even though I cognitively know that I look better than I once did, I am still uncomfortable in my skin. Unfortunately, I cannot afford therapy. Having a degree in Psychology, I understand that the before body image is seered into the psyche, and it takes a while for the subjective mind to catch up with the objective reality of what the new body looks like. So I was wandering how those of you with depression have coped with your new body?

P.S. Some other complicating factors affecting my depression is that I have been dealing with burnout from work, which doesn't help in having time to reflect and celebrate my new body. Plus, I have recently moved to a new city and with my work schedule, I have very little time for a social life, which has led to severe isolation and loneliness (One of the impetus' in beginning my health journey was the need to get to a place where I was physically and emotionally healthy enough to begin dating and eventually start a family in the long run, so as you can imagine, this experience of severe isolation and loneliness has upset those expectations.) A new/more stressful job role, a new place to live, and a new body all in year and a half has created a bunch of instability, and I am struggling to stay grounded during all this.

submitted by /u/psych_catchup
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2JvxvKE

No comments:

Post a Comment