Monday, May 6, 2019

1 year update: Been working on my health for a year now. Haven't lost nearly as much weight as I hoped, but I'm much healthier than I was a year ago and will keep pushing myself. 65lbs, 6 pants sizes, and 2 shirt sizes down.

Last May I weighed myself at 350lbs. I wanted to see how much I weighed because my 4X shirts didn't fit very well anymore and I was having a hard time finding pants larger than a Men's 50. Needless to say I was disgusted.

I started tracking my calories and casually going to the gym, between May and September I lost about 15 pounds. Nothing crazy I've gone on short spurts and dropped a few pounds plenty of times before, then always gained it back plus more.

Interestingly (to me anyway) I've been fat my entire life except for a few years as a teenager where I would just constantly make myself throw up, I lost a ton of weight really fast. The temptation to go back to that is constant. Like most people on this sub I don't have a good relationship with food.

Anyway in September I finally went to the doctor and found out my cholesterol was through the roof. I was on the fast track to a stroke and early death. The doctor gave me a prescription to help with weight loss, obviously insurance won't cover anything so it's crazy expensive but it helped a lot while I had it.

I also started going to the gym more regularly. In October I attempted to start C25K and hurt my knees so badly that it was hard to walk the next day. I postponed that and focused on the elliptical.

Between September and January I lost the bulk of my weight, about 35 pounds. I also started taking care of my mental health. Got better antidepressants and started seeing a therapist.

Since the start of 2019 I'm still losing weight but in the last few weeks I've plateaued HARD. It's frustrating but I'm trying to keep going. I've only lost 15 pounds this year so far. It's pretty disappointing. Overall I've lost a total of 65lbs and gone from 350lbs to 285lbs. My goal is 175lbs and I hope to make better progress in the next year.

But my health has improved a lot. My cholesterol is within 1 point of healthy. I can do C25K on the treadmill, I can't actually run yet but I walk really fast and will have the program complete this week. I signed up to walk a 5k for real this month as well. I have way more stamina, more than I've ever had before. I helped a buddy move out of a 2nd story apartment without issues. I wear 2X shirts again. And what prompted me to make this post, this morning I put on size 44 pants for work. That's 6 pants sizes over a year.

I don't have a lot of pictures of myself but here's selfies roughly a year apart: https://i.imgur.com/vCS4wyT.jpg

submitted by /u/backlogplayer
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2JkvIX5

No comments:

Post a Comment