Monday, May 13, 2019

A reminder to not be discouraged when the number on the scale increases a little bit

I'm still pretty early in my weight loss journey, but I've been doing CICO for 2 months now and I've lost 14lbs. I've been tracking my weight daily since about 2 weeks in and charting it in Excel in various formats.

A problem that I've had previously is that I would get super disheartened when my weight went up at all, or didn't change. And then it was like "If I'm going to restrict my eating and still put on weight, why not just eat what I want?", but this time I told myself I had to stick to the diet regardless of what the scale said. I was merely monitoring the scale. I would remind myself that I couldn't have really put on a whole pound in a day because I ate within my calorie limits and I certainly hadn't eaten 3500 excess calories and it was probably retained water or something and it would come off soon.

Here's a plot of all my daily weigh-ins, with a trend line drawn onto it. This covers 10lb of weight loss over 7 weeks. Although the trend line very clearly shows the weight is coming off at a reasonable pace, there are lots of individual days or even weeks where my weight was going up, despite the fact that I wasn't eating any differently. But it comes back down eventually and the general trend was down.

I had a bit of a disheartening week last week where (as you can see on the chart), my weight went from 176.8 to 179 in a few days and that freaked me out a bit, but it really helped me to look at previous little spikes and remind myself that it will eventually come back down, just like it did then.

So just a reminder that your weight probably won't get lower every single day in nice neat increments. As long as you know that you're eating within your limits, the rest will follow, so focus on the general trend and don't let a small increase throw you off!

submitted by /u/moonname
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2JgzMZb

No comments:

Post a Comment