Wednesday, May 8, 2019

F/24/6'1" [355 lbs > 190 lbs = 165 lbs]. (4 years and counting). Losing a whole person, but gaining a new perspective on life and health/wellness.

I can't even begin to describe how it feels. Being overweight. Losing the weight. It's almost unfathomable and like it almost never existed--the bigger version of me. I had always been overweight my whole life, I was athletic as a child and throughout high school, however never had a handle on nutrition, I ate anything and everything in sight.

Until one day I was 21 years old, 355 lbs, staring in the mirror wondering what life was going to be like. I was unhappy, unhealthy, and lost. I can't really say what the exact reason that made me want to make this change--however, the next thing I knew I had started a weight loss program, it was easy to manage, and then the next thing I know I had lost 100 pounds in a matter of a year.

HOW DID I DO IT?

I cannot disclose the diet program I used. However, it was a doctor monitored program consisting of caloric restriction, with the use of appetite suppressants.

WHAT MY DIET WAS LIKE:

My daily caloric intake the first year was <900 calories a day, consisting of protein shakes, weighed out portions of protein, vegetables, and starches.

Breakfast:

Protein Shake and a fruit (apple, orange, etc., sometimes I didn't get to have one due to schedule)

Snack:

Protein snack bar

Lunch:

Meat protein, vegetable, fruit, and protein shake. All of it weighed out, white meats usually was around 5-6 g, red meats 3-4 g. Vegetables, 1 cup.

Snack:

Protein shake

Dinner:

Refer to lunch, with adding a starch: usually a rice cake or something along the lines of that.

After a year of this, I realized just my diet alone was not going to be something I could maintain...I love food too much, even after all this time. Once I lost 100 pounds I realized I needed to add exercise on to my program as well. I started off with going to PF and just walking on a treadmill, going on walks outside. I found a gym and was working with a trainer starting 3 days a week, and from there I fell in love.

I now am a powerlifter, lost an additional 65 pounds over the course of the last three years (I am now 24). I work out 6 days a week, I still eat all the things I love, I am just more mindful in my choices.

The biggest lesson I learned:

It's hard to explain all the struggles I went through, the plateaus I never thought I would make it through. However the biggest thing I learned was that everything takes time, you didn't put it all on overnight, it wasn't just going to come off overnight either. Something changed in my brain, I would like to think it rewired itself. I now actually think mindfully on my everyday life, when it comes to exercise and diet.

It's still hard looking in the mirror seeing who I am now. I still sometimes see who I used to be, some days are better than others, some are worse. As much as you don't want to believe it, people do treat you differently being thinner....I've had to learn how to build friendships and relationships in a different way. Life is completely different, but I would have it no other way.

Progress Pics

submitted by /u/ohmegash
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2H78xwO

No comments:

Post a Comment