Friday, May 10, 2019

How to cope with lack of visual progress?

So I started at 110kg (about 240lbs). I want to get down to 60kg (about 130lbs). I'm halfway there, this morning I weighed 84kg (about 185lbs). I should be proud of myself, and I am happy that I've stuck with it and that I've made positive healthy changes and so on.

But when I look in the mirror, I still see a caravan. I know that when you start from Class 3 obesity then, like a full toilet roll of toilet paper, you have to remove quite a lot before you start seeing a big difference visually. I understand how the relationship between volume and diameter isn't linear. And I can see where I've lost weight in some places. My calves are much slimmer. My bum is much smaller - although that's a problem in itself in some ways, because now it's sort of a saggy flab of cellulite, but that's fine, I can do some squats or something.

But my double chin is still mega prominent and my cheeks are really chubby. My belly is still embarrassingly huge. I know that I'm still obese and will be until I lose another 3kg (6.5lbs) and even then I'll still be overweight and there's a long way to go until I'm of a healthy build. I'm just finding it so disheartening that I'm still so huge. Because I mostly wear loose dresses and leggings I also haven't had any moments of "wow these clothes that were way too small before fit me perfectly now" because, you know, even a size 20 can fit into size 12 leggings... And literally no one in my life has commented on my weight loss (except my boyfriend, but he knows I'm dieting), although I do accept that my wardrobe of loose dresses doesn't really accentuate my figure so it'd be harder for people to notice.

Sometimes seeing the numbers go down on the scales is enough, enough to reassure me "you're going in the right direction, you'll see a difference soon, just be patient". But other times I just feel so hopeless. Especially as my weight loss is slowing somewhat due to my TDEE decreasing as I lose weight. It makes me feel like if I'm going to be unhappy with my appearance anyway, I might as well eat all the cheese I want. I've managed to stay disciplined so far, but I worry my resolve is getting shakier as I become more despondent. Does anyone have any advice on how to ensure these moments of low mood don't end up sabotaging my efforts? Is there a good way for me to refocus my thoughts so I don't let it get me down?

submitted by /u/taversham
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2WClzsC

No comments:

Post a Comment