Wednesday, May 15, 2019

I had a fitness epiphany a few weeks ago

I've always struggled with my weight except for the final few years of high school when I was playing football and working out every day. After my first year of college I stopped playing football and continued to eat and ballooned up to my highest weight ever at 346 lbs a few weeks ago. When I saw that number I was absolutely disgusted with myself for allowing my weight to get that bad.

I've experimented with a lot of different diet and work out plans, but when things didn't go the way I wanted to I would get discouraged and quit and gain back any weight I had lost and more. But a few weeks ago, shortly after seeing that number I realized something that probably should have been obvious to me, but wasn't. My goals have always been around weight loss, and that was exactly the problem. When your goal is only weight loss, you have one success metric, the number on the scale. If that number doesn't decrease enough, stays the same, or worst of all increases then you have failed, and failure, of course, is discouraging. When your goal is just to lose weight you either succeed or fail week to week and mentally that can be really tough to follow through on.

So I changed my goal. I don't just want to lose weight, I want to be healthy and I want to be fit. Now this is a goal with a lot of success metrics. Of course there's the number on the scale, but there's also the amount of time and/or distance that I can run, or the amount of weight I can lift, there's the number of calories I consume, and in all of these ways I can succeed. Maybe I only lost half a pound this week but I ran a quarter mile further, or hit my CICO goal every day, or benched an extra 10 lbs. And just as failures are discouraging, successes are even more encouraging. By changing the way you view your goals you set yourself up for a bunch of small victories that keep you fired up and moving forward in your weight loss fitness journey.

Again, maybe this is something obvious that I've just been missing for years, but I hope that this post will help somebody else see what I was missing for so long.

Good luck to everyone, keep pushing!

submitted by /u/enginerd826
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/30qxJav

No comments:

Post a Comment