Friday, May 24, 2019

Loss has ground to a halt after starting strength training...should I quit until I'm at goal?

Hey, reddit!

So I was down 21.5 pounds since mid-February...until I started using weights recently. Started with machines at the gym, got some resistance bands for days I couldn't make it to the gym before close.

Long story short, I'd been losing weight at 1.5 lbs a week before starting weights. Once I started, though, my weight would predictably shoot up the day after working out, then wobble back down...until I worked out again, after which it would go right back up again. In the last two weeks, I've overall gained a pound.

I weigh and track food meticulously; rarely am I am over 1000 calories a day, and only over 1200 once in the last month and a half (hit 1310 once at a celebration dinner). After a heavy workout two days ago I cut calories to the 800s that day and yesterday, hoping that would prevent me gaining weight -- it didn't. Weight still went up.

I enjoy the weight lifting. I'm not deluded enough to think I'm building any significant muscle, but it feels awesome to push myself and have a hot minute out of the day where I can pretend I'm a badass. But if it means slowing my weight loss this much then the tradeoff doesn't seem worth it. I still have a lot of weight to lose and that's the priority right now. Seeing a gain now is honestly demotivating.

Is it better to just ditch the strength training until I'm at goal weight?

submitted by /u/Practical_Sound
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2WusuHG

No comments:

Post a Comment