Tuesday, November 12, 2019

This is so hard. [Day One?]

Hey all, I have no idea if this will be effective for me or not. I don't know why I've never posted before, I've been subbed for years at this point. I don't know where to start, I don't know if anyone will read this, but maybe this post is the spark that will set me on a healthier path.

A bit about me, I'm about 30. A father of two young kids, married. I just finished a doctorate in clinical psychology and work two jobs as a therapist (day job is a therapist at an inpatient hospital, evening work as an outpatient therapist in a medium sized practice). Some of my day includes light walking, but mostly sitting for about an hour at a time. Most days, I work about 12-hours, otherwise I work about 9. I usually work 2-3 hours on Saturday/Sunday. My hobby for the past 3 years as been painting miniatures, which requires minimal activity. I have a gym membership, but fell out of the habit of going.

I've been overweight my whole life (with the exception of when I was 18-19). At the moment, I weight about 260-ish, I'm about 5'9 in height.

The tough part about all this is that I'm very well educated on the science behind both the psychology and the biology of weight loss. I know exactly what I need to do in order to lose the weight.

Thing is, I don't seem to have the willpower or discipline to do it.

Although I'm a psychologist, I don't consider myself a social scientist, I'm a advocate for understanding human behavior through the lens of natural selection, evolution, neurodevelopment, etc. I often tell my clients/patients that the human mind is immensely sensitive to social pressure and I suppose that is what this post is for myself.

This is my plea for help. This is my plea for connection. My wife is a thin woman who doesn't eat much, my entire immediate family is overweight. My mother struggled with bulimia and anorexia almost her entire adult life. My father was a man with horrendous impulse control issues. I have no one to turn to who either understands what I'm going through or understands how to foster a healthy relationship with food and physical activity.

I want to have a healthier relationship with food, but when it comes to developing a plan and then adhering to it, I flounder.

I don't know exactly what I want here... other than, I want to be a part of something bigger than myself. I want to contribute here, I want to slowly adjust a lifelong pattern of behaviors into something that won't see me into an early grave (God damn getting a doctorate takes forever, I swear if I develop some sort of illness in my 30's-40's after sacrificing my 20's I'm going to freak).

At least for now, I think I'll write again tomorrow. If I don't, maybe someone could message me a reminder or some encouragement?

submitted by /u/Aleastor
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2KgHy3Y

No comments:

Post a Comment