Monday, December 23, 2019

I went to a therapist for help with weight loss.

Per the title, I went to a therapist for help. I've never been to one before and was rather embarrassed to admit that at first. I don't think less of other people who go to therapy, but something in me was really embarrassed about going for what I described as a potential binge eating disorder. I'm sharing a snippet of my story in hope that it helps someone on here either make the right decision or just feel better knowing that there's other people struggling through the same stuff.
I've actually had great success with CICO thanks to this sub and have lost ~60 pounds to date. Similar to social media I put on a positive front, publicly, but have still been struggling behind the successful weight loss mask. My challenge is that I REALLY struggle with what I considered problematic binge eating. I can go all day feeling great, eating well, and then something changes at night time and I just clean out my fridge/pantry/anything with food in it. It's like the part of me that cares just goes away and the only thing that will make me feel better is shoving food in my mouth. After a couple months of regular therapy, it seems we've discovered that what I describe as binge eating is actually a coping mechanism for stress and anxiety. Looking back, it all makes sense, but I needed help understanding it and learning to spot the stress and anxiety when they start so I can cope in healthier ways.

If any of this sounds like you, my suggestion is that you should consider speaking to someone about it. I would have never figured this out on my own. I chalked it up to having some sort of eating disorder or just being really hungry and "losing mental fights to myself." Am I magically cured from a couple months of sessions? No. I still have a long ways to go. However, I have tools now and an understanding of what's been going on.

submitted by /u/i_ShotFirst
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2ZgKa8k

No comments:

Post a Comment