Monday, December 2, 2019

Vegan doesn’t equal healthy

I’ve been vegan for the past 4 and a half years, and I’m now on a journey to lose 22lbs. I never thought this was possible.

Being young and vegan, I mistakenly assumed I could eat whatever I wanted, in whatever portions. Though my weight has never been at a point where a doctor explicitly told me that weight loss is necessary, I’ve found myself unhappy with my body.

I’d compare my diet to my peers - at least I wasn’t like the girl in my class that goes off campus every day for Taco Bell, or the boy that visits Starbucks for sugary lattes multiple times a day. I suppose I did eat healthier than the average teenager, but I had no idea about the importance of calorie counting and wholesome foods over processed ones.

When I am in the United States, it’s not too uncommon to be vegan these days. There’s plenty of options for me! Banana flavored nondairy milk, peanut butter, cookie butter (bless Trader Joe’s), microwave meals, soy chicken nuggets, sweetened cereals, breads, cookies, you name it, it’s veganized. It hasn’t been until I started incorporating more real, plant-based foods and controlled portions that my weight is coming off.

Tl;dr - it’s not the diet that makes the weight loss, it’s the caloric deficit

submitted by /u/rosemaryvetiver
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2r7q4kq

No comments:

Post a Comment