Monday, December 2, 2019

Bar food strategies

Hi everyone! I wanted to share these bar food strategies I’ve learned in the last few months of losing. The assumption is that your default order would have been a burger/sandwich/equivalent (I’m vegetarian, so I order bean patties or Beyond burgers) + fries/chips/fried equivalent.

Using one of these strategies vs. the default order doesn’t make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things CICO-wise, but it can have great psychological benefits. It makes you feel like you’re still in control and on-the-wagon, it helps you navigate a potentially tricky situation, and it makes you feel and actually BE lighter the next morning.

Deciding on the strategy beforehand is helpful because you don’t have to think about it in the moment. When the server comes, you’ll know what to do, and there’ll be less room for things to go sideways:

  1. Order a salad. This may seem radical, but hey - you’re allowed! I was initially afraid of peer/SO pressure or scrutiny, but I’ve found people don’t really care about it, and they hardly ever comment (I realize this may not be the case for everyone). Also, you may think you’ll be missing out flavor-wise, but once you’re actually eating the salad, you’ll realize/remember salads are delicious and satisfying. Order the dressing on the side so you control the amount. If you think you’ll have some FOMO on fried foods, you can plan to steal from someone or share a side.

  2. Order a burger or equivalent main dish, but substitute the chips/fries/side for a salad. Again, decide this beforehand and execute it without thinking about it. It will make you feel proud of your choice, and your meal will still be super satisfying – I always find I don’t actually miss the fries.

  3. (I haven’t tried this one yet, but I’ve read it repeatedly on this sub and I’m eager to try it) Order the default main dish + fried side, but pack half of everything from the get-go. You will still have eaten everything you craved and you will still be satisfied. Plus, you will have two delicious meals for the price of one. You will have outsmarted bar food, both financially and diet-wise.

Bonus: I used to mindlessly order a second beer when offered. I really don’t need a second beer, especially since my tolerance has gone down with weight loss. I’ve found that if I keep the glass a quarter-full, I don’t get offered a second beer, nor do I need it. I gulp down the last of it as I get up to leave, IF I even feel like finishing it by then. Helps avoid hangovers, bloating, and over-spending!

How do you deal with bar food while losing/maintaining?

submitted by /u/marestra
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2OG5KiU

No comments:

Post a Comment