Friday, March 27, 2020

Does anyone remember when it was considered healthy to lose 2-3 pounds a week?

This might have been a decade, maybe a decade and a half ago. You'd see the healthy recommendation of 2-3 pounds for sustainable weight loss. At some point, the science switched to 1-2 pounds. I agreed with that science and still do.

But now I'm coming across things that say it's not healthy to lose 2 pounds per week. A lot of things I've found say that it would take 4-5 months to lose 20 pounds. I'll leave some links below. I'm just wondering if this is the new science?

"Using our 20 pound example, you can expect to lose this weight in five months. Four if you’re incredibly diligent. Two if you plan to gain 30 pounds back (read: crash diet and over-exercising)."

"It felt great at the time, but afterward I gained back the weight and THEN some.... So, I started making small changes.... Within four months, I met my goal to lose 20 pounds."

This Reddit post full of people who took more than a few months to lose 20 pounds.

This Reddit post full of the same.

I understand losing 3 pound per week is unhealthy and would never put my body through that. But without making a mind trap for disappointment, is it not healthy to lose 20 pounds in about 2.5 months?

submitted by /u/floating_bells_down
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2UKvUCY

No comments:

Post a Comment