Thursday, March 26, 2020

Please help me help my cat

My 5 year old cat has always been lazy, but he didn't have much of an appetite before neutering. His appetite was so low that we'd have to give him 20-30 pieces of temptations treats to maintain his weight. He weighed 10.8-11 pounds prior to neutring.

We got him neutered 12/24/19. Since then, he just loves to eat. From January to February of this year, he gained 1.5 pounds and is currently 12.5. All of March, I've had him on a diet to maintain his weight. At the start of March, we'd give him half a cup to 2/3 or a cup of Purina Naturals and 5 pieces of Temptation treats spread throughout the day. We'd split the 2/3 cup of food into 5 mini meals for him. This food restriction made him very depressed. Last week, we switched him over to Iams weight control food, and the suggested serving size is 2/3 of a cup for weight loss. We have been giving him 2/3 of a cup divided throughout the day with the 5 pieces of treats, but he's still very hungry. He smells all around the house looking for any piece of food. I even saw him licking the carpet in desperation. Yesterday, for his birthday, I let him free feed. He ate ~ 1.5-1.75 cups of Iams weight loss food, which is much above his maintenance. I don't know what to do about this.

He also refuses to eat wet food. My husband and I resorted to putting him on a harness and taking him outside to increase his physical activity, but he is afraid of being outside. He doesn't like most cat toys, except the laser and a phone charger (he loves to bite the small end!). He doesn't play for long before wanting to stop. I even try to give him some cat nip every other day to make him more active.

I posted in r/cats, but my post was removed because my account is fairly new.

submitted by /u/DNA-Hellycase
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2xq6Uco

No comments:

Post a Comment