Tuesday, March 31, 2020

F/22/5’1, 153-138 lbs: slow but maintaining consistent weight loss!

So I’ve lost about fifteen pounds since august, which is not very noticeable since it’s happened really slowly but I’m really proud of myself!

The method I had used previously to lose weight in high school was borderline obsessive and almost if not absolutely some form of an eating disorder. It worked and I lost weight, but I didn’t lose weight because I developed a better relationship with food. I lost weight because I was seventeen and depressed. What I did to myself was destructive and not sustainable, and although I got the, “results” I wanted, I regret ever doing that to my body. It was too fast, too extreme, and actually resulted in me developing gallstones and requiring an emergency gallbladder removal. (I went from approximately 160-130 in about two months and lost an extra 7 pounds from surgical complications and an extended stay in the hospital . It was NOT worth it, it was preventable, and I gained most of the weight back over the course of four years)

That was about five years ago. Now, instead of focusing on limiting or reducing my intake I’m focusing on developing eating and exercise habits. I’ve developed a routine around when and what I eat. I don’t starve myself or refuse myself snacks, I just try and choose healthier and more filling choices. I still have cheat days, I’ve had cheat weeks even, but by maintaining on overall consistency I’ve found that I am still losing weight or at the very least maintaining. What has worked the best for me is timing when I eat. Although it varies, I try and have breakfast around 10, lunch around 3, and dinner around 7. I have snacks in between depending on if I’m hungry. Even on days where I don’t completely follow my schedule I try and maintain it. Although I might have a lot of snacks and drinks one evening, I’ll still eat the same as I would during the day.

I also set exercise goals. I’ve been jogging on a treadmill, and aim to train myself to jog for extended periods of time. At first I could only jog for about five minutes, this week I was able to jog for a full thirty at a speed of 5 miles an hour! Which apparently isn’t very fast but as someone who had exercise-induced asthma I’m happy I can run at all! I try and go on the treadmill at least five times a week but I don’t jog everyday currently.

Progress has been slow, but it’s working for me and it doesn’t require me to treat myself strictly and cruelly. The speed of my weight loss has increased though as it took me sometime to develop these habits and make them more sustainable. So whereas I only lost five pounds from August to approximately December, I’ve lost about ten since January.

The progress isn’t linear, but it’s developing a consistency that I’m happy with!

submitted by /u/squidpodiatrist
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2UvcWBq

No comments:

Post a Comment