Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Down 10% (21 lbs) in 8 weeks. My lessons learned and the next phase.

Hoping my reflections can help someone, as well as motivate me to continue.

Immediate Motivation with incentives - This was probably the biggest difference maker for me. My gym was having a weight loss contest with prize money. I knew there was an end date and a potential reward. I’ve tried losing weight before, but not this aggressively. At the start of the contest, a friend said, “[Gym name] doesn’t seem to be working for you.” I’m not advocating someone hurt your feelings like mine were, but the honesty was motivating.

Long term motivation - I’ll be 45 soon and am having my third kid. I’m hoping to see her have kids one day.

Diet - I had been going to the gym regularly and was in good condition, but I was (and still am) over my ideal weight. All the cliches about the kitchen were true for me. I used the LoseIt app to track everything. I set it to lose 1.5 lbs/week, which I knew to be super aggressive. I wanted a buffer, so if I did slip I would still be losing weight. I never knew the difference between hunger (physical) and cravings (mental). The cravings reduced or became easier to recognize/control after 2-3 weeks. I did a lot of Quest bars, Raw Organic Fit protein shakes (the fiber is filling), and some healthy desserts at first. I plateaued. That’s where eating cleaner helped. CICO is true, but I found i was less hungry eating 100 cal of almonds instead of 100 cal of mini cookies. That slope is a lot less slippery. A lot of meals from Skinnytaste were easy to make and use for lunch. Having healthy snacks at my desk kept me from the vending machine and cafe. It was never easy to say no, but I could limit the damage that way. Not eating out made it easier to count calories.

Sleep - Good sleep is an underrated asset. For most of us, losing weight takes willpower. Being tired or stressed makes it harder for me to be disciplined. Less likely to want to exercise. More vulnerable to depression and not caring.

Alcohol - Hardest part for me, as I love IPAs and have alcoholic tendencies. During a funeral/reunion with college friends, I noticed how much most of us drank. I thought about my kids and about what I was doing to my body by drinking to excess. I went from 10+ drinks in a weekend to going several weeks without any. I might have one at a social event and sometimes none. Drinking messed with my willpower and sleep, in addition to the calories. I still drink now, but I don’t want to make it a habit.

Support and systems - Having loved ones know I was in this contest helped. Wife made the meals, shopped, and held me accountable. Gym coach gave me nutrition tips. I talked through “sobriety” with several friends. I also broke habits, as mentioned above. A habit of an early AM workout makes it easier to forgo late night drinking or snacking. TBH, if I wasn’t drinking, I realized I’d rather get good sleep.

Exercise - do what you enjoy. I wear an activity monitor and realized even though I’d been working out vigorously for 60 min 4-5x/week for 2 years, I’d sit at my desk all day. Working out helped my mood, suppressed my appetite, but it made me care about my body’s performance. My gym chain requires you to sign up in advance, so I also wasn’t going to bail and pay a fee.

Sustaining - I went from 232 to 207 lbs. I was tired, moody, and so hungry. But my gym is closed. I’m home bound with my family. Fighting depression. My short term has changed, but my long-term motives haven’t. I had a week where I ate whatever. I have an agreement with myself and my wife that I’ll go back to 1500 cal a day if I hit 212. I am prepping myself for a push to lose 1 lb/week to get to 197. Maybe the gym will be open. I walk if I don’t hit my activity goal for the day. I do home workouts and run to stay sane in this crazy time.

A few people told me I look like a different person. 20 lbs is relative, but the changes I made to get there are what make me feel like a different person. Hopefully, I can keep it up!

TLDR; Set a public goal and reward yourself. Be mindful of what you eat, how you sleep, and what causes you to backslide.

submitted by /u/Snoopfernee
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3dGbFiy

No comments:

Post a Comment