Sunday, March 29, 2020

Motivation from the unlikeliest of places

Hey y’all! Long time lurker first time poster here. You can skip my backstory to find out where I got some much needed motivation from today, on paragraph 3.

I have been overweight my whole life. Literally from birth. My mom had gestational diabetes that went unchecked so I was born weighing a whopping 13lbs. Struggled with my weight and bullies throughout my childhood. In high school, I was in a bad home situation with an abusive stepmom and the stress of that led me to lose over 50lbs. My doctor was proud, my social life was thriving, and even though my home life was garbage I felt better than ever. That’s the only time I can remember not being out of breath all the time and feeling energetic in the morning and just generally feeling good in my own body. Skip ahead to senior year and my stepmom kicks me out and I’m living with family friends, my weight goes from 160lbs to 230lbs in one year. Then I went off to college and added another 60lbs to it. All this while I’m yo-yo dieting and following fads. I tried IF, personal trainers, CrossFit, boot camp classes, medi-weight loss. They work for a few weeks then I start binge eating and I put all the weight back on.

My worse enemy is binge eating specifically ice cream. It’s like all my willpower goes out the window. Then I hate myself, so I eat to feel better and I get stuck in this vicious cycle. To make matters worse, my culture favors rich foods and I like to cook, so “eating healthy” is always so depressing to me because I can’t cook the foods that I love to. I am now sitting at 280lbs and the worst thing is that people always love telling me that I don’t look like I weight that much like it’s a compliment. I feel sluggish all the time and developed asthma due to my obesity. My breathing is always labored, I snore so loudly it’s embarrassing, I’ve avoided getting a physical for 2 years because I know my doctor’s gonna be so disappointed. She’s been my GP since I was 10 and she’s always expressing her concern about my health, especially since most of the women on my mom’s side of the family including my mom and older sister are diabetic and have history of strokes and high blood pressure. I’ve been with my boyfriend for 7 years and he’s a sweetheart but we had a heart to heart and he finally admitted to me that he was not as attracted to me as he used to be (that one hurt like a bitch). All of this and I still can’t control my binge eating, I’ve decided to try therapy for that.

Anyways, last summer I decided that I was gonna start walking my dog a couple of miles every day. It was great, we would go out around dusk and go for 2-3 miles. The dog loved it and I was getting into it. We stuck to it for about a month and I would always come across this guy also walking the same way as me. We kinda became walking buddies even though we never even talked. Just a smile as we passed each other by. He looked like he was around 350lbs. Eventually I gave up on the waking and went back to my lazy ways and I forgot all about him. I am self employed so I have my own small office not too far from my house. I left the house to go spend some time alone at the office, since being cooped up with 9 people for almost a month now is driving me insane, no matter how much I love them. So as I was driving by I saw my walking buddy running! He looked liked he’d lost over 100lbs and he was legit running. It wasn’t a walk or labored jog, but full on running and it looked effortless. It really struck me, this guy stuck to it and he looked amazing. Even with all this pandemic BS, he still managed to stick to his plan and it was around the same time as he would go when I was doing it too. He didn’t let the rain or the cold stop him. I’m feeling really inspired to give it another shot. Because if this man who I have never spoken to can do it, so can I! Once it’s safe to be around other people again, I plan on catching up to him and ask him if he would maybe be my accountability partner. I am weak willed so maybe having an accountability partner will help me build up my willpower.

TL;DR: I used to walk with a random neighbor I never spoke to. I gave up but he didn’t and a few months later I see him again and he’s lost a massive amount of weight.

submitted by /u/vaness_ness
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3bBttcR

No comments:

Post a Comment