Saturday, May 9, 2020

[NSV] New perspective on exercise

I used to feel like it was so easy to eat 1,000 calories but so hard to lose them. Eating 1,000 calories is just 12.5 Oreos and burning 1,000 calories takes hours of intense, sweat-dripping workout. To be fair, I still think that way, but I think about it so much less now. And here's why:

I've been trying to lose weight for ages. Every time I start up, I do really well for a period of time, but after a while, I feel constrained by the burden of such a strict calorie limit and end up reverting back to my old habits. This time around, I decided to switch it up. For the last 30 days, I've been following a strict CICO diet, combined with religious use of MFP and exercise (30 min spin bike + 30 min targeted muscle exercises) 5x/week. And I've lost 8 pounds!

Instead of thinking about exercise as a way to lose weight faster (let's face it, it's nowhere near as effective as CICO), I think about the estimated 300 calories I burn from my daily exercise as a bonus to my daily kcal limit. If I feel a craving for an extra snack, I no longer have the guilt attached to going over my daily budget, because the extra exercise has helped me budget for it. I'm still following CICO, because although I'm putting more calories in, I'm also putting more calories out!

Having this asset-based (instead of deficit-based) approached has really transformed how I'm perceiving weight loss this time around. I am watching the scale steadily move down, while being able to enjoy a guilt-free hot chocolate or extra handful of chips every day. Plus, I can feel myself getting stronger, which is helping send those happy hormones through my body and lending me emotional strength to stick to CICO. It's a win-win!

submitted by /u/temporary-human
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3dwy5SC

No comments:

Post a Comment