Tuesday, September 15, 2020

How did you get over a plateau? (Also what biochemically is even going on with them?)

Hello folks! This place has been an awesome source of inspiration and ideas over the years. Five years ago I was around 250 and lost about 20lbs. Since COVID began I took the opportunity to get back on the horse and have dropped another 30+, sitting at 197ish currently. I'm not at my final goals and I already feel a night-and-day difference in terms of energy levels, what winds me while playing with my kids, etc.

I've noticed the last two weeks my progress has stagnated, despite still being on the same calorie intake and cardio levels. The only difference has been incorporating some (very light) muscle workouts occasionally with pushups, situps, and a low weight kettlebell. I wouldn't THINK they would account for muscle growth, but I suppose it's possible.

Anyway, I was curious how you folks have approached plateaus in the past? I hit one around 215 that lasted a week or two, but without changing anything my body eventually folded and went back to losing. My current thought is to do the same before doing anything drastic, since I really like my current food/fitness system and it's been working really well for me so far.

I was also curious if anyone with more body knowledge than I knows what's even biochemically going on with a "true" plateau, assuming caloric intake and everything is the same and the person dieting isn't cheating at all? A lot of weight loss feels like straight math - intake being less than energy output, and your body has no choice but to lose. But obviously it's much more complicated than that. Will the stubborn body always eventually "fold" to the math of calories, pounds and weight loss, or can it adapt to crazy levels?

Sorry for the rambling, y'all are amazing! Thanks for all the inspiration and conversation for me to read over the years.

submitted by /u/CowboyHatValor
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3iyta6h

No comments:

Post a Comment