Saturday, September 12, 2020

How to give someone advice that promotes health, fitness, and strength instead of just weight loss?

My boyfriend (22M) and I (20F) have both been on a weight loss journey and have lost a few lbs so far, mainly just through eating less, eating better, and moving more. He mentioned this in a Skype call with his family and when he finished he told me his younger sister (17F) had asked if I could send her some tips on how to lose weight.

His sister is a perfectly normal and healthy weight, if not a little under, but I know she suffers from rather crippling anxiety and body image issues. I know when I was her age (and much much younger) I did too, and a lot of my teenage years were taken up by google searches of "how to lose weight fast" and I ended up falling into pretty bad disordered eating and restricting/bingeing even though looking back I was actually at a healthy weight, maybe only a few lbs into the overweight category.

I would love to give her some advice, as I really feel for her, and as she has two older brothers I guess it's nice for her to have an older-sister-type figure in her life who can help her with this kind of thing. But since I know how dangerous telling someone who already has problems with the way they look to "just eat less" could potentially be, I'm looking for other advice and tips I could give to her that don't strictly promote this. When I was her age, I wish someone had told me the importance of general fitness and strength as well as body health, rather than just trying to lose as much weight as possible. Because of this, I went from a competitive cheerleader who could lift an entire person above my head to being almost unable to open sauce jars or walk a 3-min hill because my muscles and cardiac health just wasted since I wasn't promoting fitness and wasn't eating enough/properly.

Has anyone got any advice I can pass onto her with this in mind?

Ty in advance :)

submitted by /u/htelouise
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2GUC1S6

No comments:

Post a Comment